Chapter 38 - Breaking point

This chapter is twice as long as the usual ones... and the illustration took way more than I'd like to admit. ^^;
Please read the previous chapter and its note at the end!
Enjoy! ^^

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

"Did you hear? They say someone's challenged Housewarden Rosehearts to a duel!" Whispered a purple haired Heartslabyul student.

"Riddle Rosehearts? Seriously? Whoever it is has gotta be outta his mind. Riddle will have his head off in five seconds flat." His tanned dorm mate shook his head incredulously, trying to keep his voice down.

"Still, it's the first challenge since Rosehearts took power. I'm pumped!" A third boy grinned while leaning his elbow on the other's shoulder.

"You're saying Ace and Deuce are challenging Riddle for the housewarden's seat?! Please tell me you're kidding." Cater exclaimed with wide eyes, just a few meters away from those students.

"I tried to stop 'em." Trey said with resignation as he sighed and held his head.

"Of all the stupid ideas... I just hope this doesn't make everything worse." The ginger third year grumbled the first part under his breath before speaking quietly with a somber look.

"You and me both." The green haired junior retorted seriously.

Meanwhile, headmaster Crowley cleared his throat before stepping forward and speaking up. "We are about to commence two challenges for the housewarden position at Heartslabyul House." He announced in a clear tone.

"The first challenger is Ace Trappola. The second challenger is Deuce Spade." He said as the two mentioned freshmen stared down at their dorm leader with tough and determined looks.

"The current housewarden they have challenged is Riddle Rosehearts." The masked man gestured from them two to Riddle, who just calmly stood straight with crossed arms.

"Now, in accordance with the duel rules, please remove the magic-sealing collars as they would provide an unfair disadvantage." The headmage tilted his head toward the collared duo while looking at the redhead sophomore.

After a brief nod and a swift movement of his magical staff, the two collars disappeared in a flash. "Ah! FINALLY, the dumb collar is off!" Ace exclaimed as he and Deuce sighed in relief and rubbed over their sore necks.

"Enjoy your moment of freedom. The collar will be back on soon enough." Riddle gave a sly and self-important grin as he dismissingly waved his hand aside.

"I could hardly believe it when I heard you two intended to duel me. Is this a joke?" His smirk soon turned into a sharp glare as he spoke strictly.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" The first year ginger narrowed his eyes and put his hands on his hips in the sassy fashion.

"I'd never propose a duel as a joke." The blue haired boy stated firmly, with a serious look.

"Hmph. Have it your way. Let us get this over with." The tyrannical housewarden huffed with a pompous lift of his chin and closed eyes.

"Uh, Riddle, what do you want to do about today's afternoon tea?" Cater quickly got in-between the housewarden and two duellers, scratching behind his ear.

"A foolish question. You know that the rules stipulate I take my tea every day at 4 p.m. sharp." The latter immediately returned, utterly unfazed.

"It's just that it's already past 3:30..." The older ginger chuckled a little wryly as he lightly waved his phone in front of himself.