Chapter Five

Chapter Five
Tilted

THE ONE EIGHTEEN immediately hit the road heading to their next emergency that they knew would last all day.

Eve looked out the truck window and looked as they passed all the damage the earthquake had done. Windows where broken in buildings. A tree had fallen on a truck. It was only a matter of time before they reached some of the worst of it. She was also starting to get inside her own head. She was worried about her dog and her sister, she figured both where alright considering Maddie was at the dispatch center and taking calls and that Zeus was at a doggy daycare whrre it was their job to watch after her dog.

Bucks voice is what pulled Eve's gaze from the window and out of her head. "Is everything ok?" He questioned Eddie who was tapping away at his phone.

"Yeah. There's no service." Eddie answered not looking up from his phone. "Texts won't even get through."

"Who you trying to get ahold of?" Buck asked.

Eddie looked between Buck and Eve hesitate on answering. "My son." He answered finally, looking away from his team. "I'm trying to reach my son."

Eve's eyebrows raised in shock, she was taken aback by his answer and maybe even a little hurt thinking he was a taken man. "You've got a kid?" She inquired, her voice down and hushed.

"Christopher." Eddie stated pulling up a picture of his son and showing it to buck and Eve. "He's seven."

Eve smiled looking at the picture of the young boy with glasses and the biggest smile she had ever seen. "He's super cute."

"I agree." Buck agreed smiling just like his sister. "I, uh, I love kids." Buck shrugged.

"I love this one." Eddie told him. "I'm all he's got. His mother's not in the picture." He explained

Eve's smile dropped, the fact the little boy didn't have a mother made her feel like an ass for being jealous over her thinking Eddie was a taken man.

"He's at school?" Buck questioned with furrowed brows.

Eddie looked away from his phone with worried eyes. "Yeah." He answered.

"Hey, I'm sure he's fine." Buck reassured the worried father.

Eve reached over and touch Eddie's arm. "I know I can only speak my thoughts and not the facts but I feel that your son is perfectly safe with his teachers."

A few minutes later the team arrived at a leaning building that was on the verge of collapsing.

"You guys ever deal with anything like this before?" Eddie questioned, looking up at the skyscraper

"No." Bobby answered.

"I gotta get back in there." A women yelled as she was forced out of the building. "No, you have to let me back in there! My baby's in there!"

"Please," a man yelled trying to force his way around a firefighter. "Our daughter is still inside! She's eight years old!"

"No, my daughter's inside!" The woman continued begging to go back and save her child. "Kat. Her name is Kat!"

" you have to let me in there!" The man yelled again trying to get out of the grasp of a firefighter escorting him away from the danger zone. "She's all alone! Stop it!"

"They seriously think that's gonna hold it up?" Buck questioned, gesturing towards rescue teams putting up stands to better stabilize the tilted building that was barely standing up.