Chapter Thirty

S2Ep18- This Life We Chose
Buckle up buttercups

Chapter Thirty
Family Fun

EVE WAS able to take time off with Eddie for the funeral and to meet/spend time with his family.

Eddie's family was very welcoming of Eve which was nice especially at a time like this.

Eve spoke to Eddie's family but she mainly hung around Pepa, Isabel( learned Abuela's name so :)) Christopher and Eddie.

Eve was standing behind Christopher who had Zeus laying peaceful under his chair as him and the other children played cards when Eddie came walking past with food. When Eddie pasted he ruffled Christopher's hair and took Eve's hand as he went to put the food on the food table for everyone to eat.

"He's growing up way too fast." Eddie's mother, Helena spoke, when her son came closer to her. "He's was so brave yesterday at the funeral." She added handing a beer to Eddie and Eve

Eve looked at her stepson and smiled slightly, she felt bad for the young boy, no one deserved to lose a mother, especially the way he did.

"Bravest kid I know." Eddie agreed with his mother, taking the beer she handed him.

"Yep, just like his father." Helena patted her son's chest before looking at Eve and smiling. "And Eve."

"His mom was pretty brave too." Eddie retorted causing Eve's eyes to go wide and her to look at the ground. She knew his family wasn't found of Shannon and knew this conversation wasn't going to end well.

"Eddie." She muttered, squeezing his hand telling him to not go there.

"How? By running out on him?" Eddie's father, Ramon questioned.

Eve snapped her head in his direction and furrowed her brows in irritation and disgust. They where there to celebrate the women that he was insulting.

"Ramon." Isabel scolded her son as Eddie slowly turned around not to pleased by his father's words.

"Papi," Eddie spoke walking to the table his family was sitting at, Eve following beside him. "we're not doing this."

"I apologize." Ramon apologized for his comment but sounded like he didn't truly mean it.

Eve stood behind Eddie, her hands on his shoulders as she listened to the family, she didn't want to say something she would regret.

"Look, honey," Helena spoke sitting down and facing her son. "We know Shannon loved Christopher."

"Of course, mom." Eddie agreed.

"Okay." The mother nodded. "But she's gone..."

Eve glanced at Pepa, them both knowing where this conversation was going.

"And you are a single father, again," Helena continued.

"No I'm not." Eddie snapped, reaching up and touch Eve's hand. "I have my wife."

"Okay," Helena nodded again trying to reason with the brunette. "But you work the same long hours, Eddie...come home."

Eve raised her eyebrows in disbelief even though she was expecting this.

"To El Paso?" Eddie questioned furrowing his brows.

"Texas has fires, too." Ramon sided with his wife. "You both could join a department there."

Eddie chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. "Dad." He muttered before snapping at his family. "It's not that simple. I'm a probationary firefighter. I'm so close to earning my shield. And you want me to just throw away the last year of my life? Not to mention having Eve leave her entire life here, leaving her brother and sister and the family that she has at the station." Silence fell throughout the table as he gave a smile finding his parents unbelievable. "Right." He laughed. "Is that why you all flew in here, huh? Not for the funeral, but to bring us back, was that the plan?"