Chapter 8: Dirty Things

I know where you are.

A message came through on my phone while I was resting in my room after the recent adventure. The number was hidden again. I tried calling back the number, but it was already disconnected.

Who could it be? Was it someone who knew Mia? Maybe one of the relatives or friends of the Lancaster family? Or was it someone who was after the same thing I was - the hidden magic of Di Flores Manor?

I know who you are.

One more message. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down. I couldn't let my guard down. Whoever was behind these messages knew too much about me and my investigation. I needed to be careful, and I needed to find out who they were before they found me.

And I know where you went.

The third message. I sat frozen, staring at the screen of my phone. My heart was racing with fear and confusion. How did someone know about my recent adventure in Di Flores Manor?

And, most importantly, what you have found.

I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was being watched, that someone was following my every move. Now I'm absolutely sure about one thing - it's not Mabel's prank. It's certainly not she.

***

August 20, 1968

Dear Diary!
It feels like everything is falling apart. My father's trial is approaching and I'm afraid that he will be convicted. I don't know what to do, who to talk to, or where to go. I feel so helpless.

It's hard to believe that my own father has been involved in illegal activities. All those years he was pretending to be an honest man, a respected member of the community. But now everything is out in the open and there's no way to turn back time.

I'm so torn between my loyalty to my father and my conscience. I know what he did was wrong, but he's still my father and I love him. I wish there was something I could do to make things right.