Chapter 52: All about lies

I don't know if I should trust Kaira. More precisely, I'm almost certain I shouldn't. She, Harper, and Grace are closely connected. Most likely, they're from the same family.

I trusted the wrong people. I feel deceived, entangled, lost. I must talk to Kaira face to face. Ask her directly and watch her reaction. Most likely, she will lie. At least it will be interesting to hear how she tries to wriggle out of it.

Maybe she'll say it's all untrue. But I have solid evidence - a photo with a caption. Facts always speak louder than words.

***
The same dorm room, completely devoid of people. Sunday evening. I've just arrived here and unpacked my things. Caroline is still on her way here.

The perfect moment to communicate with the diary once again. It knows for sure. It always remembers.

L: My Dear Diary, I realize you haven't shown me everything. There must be more.

A few moments passed before that "it" responded. I was beginning to think this time there would be no response, and then suddenly...

D: You know there's something else? Then look.

***
Harper, just a child in this scene, sat forlornly on the edge of her bed, weighed down by a heavy sadness that seemed too much for her age to endure. Her eyes, brimming with disappointment, stared at the floor as if searching for answers.

The door creaked open, and Michael, her cousin, entered the room. He approached Harper, and it seemed like he wanted to ask something, but she beat him to it.

"Michael, tell me, why me? Why is the world so unfair?" she was in complete despair.

Michael sat down beside his cousin and hugged her. But it's unlikely that it particularly comforted her. She was utterly let down.

"Harper, sometimes suffering can be necessary."

"I hate it when people say that!"

Her words were like thunder and lightning in the clear sky. Michael paused before speaking further. She was angry, very angry, and incredibly disappointed.

"So, what did the doctors say?" he asked cautiously.

"My back is seriously injured, and it won't fully heal. I'll be disabled for the rest of my life."

"And what about those jerks?"

"My tormentors won't face any punishment because they're children. They're ten to twelve years old, and no one can legally convict them."

"So they pushed you down the stairs?"

"Yes, from the very top. I didn't even notice them coming!"

Poor child! Harper was not only bullied, but also seriously injured by stupid peers. The crime went unpunished. And evil always thrives where people turn a blind eye to it.

***