Chapter 9: The past does not sleep

I've always known that my family was pretty straightforward, with no secrets or mysteries. My parents are hardworking accountants, and my grandparents have been running their farm for many years. We're wealthy, but not extravagant, and I've always been content with my life.

But something has changed recently. After discovering Mia's diary and uncovering the hidden secrets of Di Flores Manor, I can't help but feel like there's more to my family's past than I ever realized. So, I've decided to start asking questions.

I don't plan on revealing the details of my recent adventures to my family - I know they wouldn't believe me anyway. But I wonder if there's something they're not telling me, something that might shed light on the mysteries of the manor and its former inhabitants.

What will I uncover about my family's past? Will it be something dark and mysterious, like the secrets hidden within the walls of the manor?

***
As I stepped onto the porch, a warm breeze caressed my face and the scent of freshly cut grass filled my lungs. Grandpa John sat on a wooden rocking chair, his favorite spot, with a book on his lap and his glasses perched on his nose. The sound of the creaking chair and the rustling of pages created a peaceful symphony.

 The sound of the creaking chair and the rustling of pages created a peaceful symphony

My grandpa John has always been loyal and serious man and I can really trust him. He was the first one I decided to talk about our family history. Moreover, Amos was his uncle.

I approached him and sat on the steps, feeling the rough texture of the wood beneath me. The sun was setting and the sky was painted in shades of orange and pink, as if it was on fire. I took a deep breath and gathered my courage to start the conversation.

"Hey, grandpa John, can I ask you something about Amos Ronald Di Flores?" I said.

"Sure, what do you want to know?" He replied, looking up from his book.

"I was wondering who Amos lived with there in Di Flores Manor," I asked. "Was he absolutely alone?"

"Well, he had some dogs and was very loyal to them." He said, but that was not what I wanted to hear.

"No, grandpa, I mean people."

"I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he lived here with a distant relative of his, a girl named Mia," he replied. "Poor child became an orphan so he agreed to take care of her."

"Interesting... What happened then? Where is she now?"

"Oh, that's quite sad but she died at a very young age because of disease."

"Wait... Which disease?"

"Sorry, I can't tell. Even doctors didn't manage to make a diagnosis."

I tried to ask some more questions but that was the only information I could get. Even my grandpa didn't know the truth that Mia was actually Amos' daughter.

My grandma was not related to Amos so it was useless to ask her any questions. And all his brothers have already passed away, unfortunately. They could tell a lot.

At least I know now that Mia died because of a disease. That's so sad. She would live till today and I could ask her many questions... but it's impossible.

Although Martin is my cousin, I didn't reveal anything to him. He doesn't know about all my adventures. And I'm not sure if I tell him some day - some things should remain a secret forever. I just told him about my new school, the dormitory, my roommate and Stormy. To my mind, that's enough. Nothing more to share with.

***
My parents didn't tell me anything - they are always too busy to answer the questions. Consumed by the weight of their daily obligations, they didn't grant me even a moment of their attention. Also, I'm doubtful that they knew some worthy information. How could my parents have known anything on this topic when they barely had time to glance up from their work?

I yearned to unravel the secrets that lay shrouded in the past, to seek out the untold tales that had been buried beneath the sands of time. But as days turned into weeks, my doubts deepened.

I resolved to seek out the truth on my own. The diary will help me, I'm sure.