Chapter 51: The only thing she wanted

My heart raced, and I looked around nervously, trying to spot anyone who might be watching me. It was a stark reminder that even in the midst of success and beauty, there could be shadows lurking in the background, waiting to reveal themselves.

It seemed that my journey in the world of fashion photography had taken an unexpected turn, one that promised both excitement and danger. I almost forgot about all my worries, but here they are, waiting for me everywhere, in any corner of the world.

I couldn't shake the feeling that Harper might be following me, watching my every move. Perhaps it was her sending those threatening messages after all. I decided to be more cautious about my surroundings. But how?

***

After three days of relaxation and exploring the beautiful tourist spots in Brazil, I knew it was time to return home. The vibrant experiences and the warmth of the Brazilian culture had left a lasting impression on me, but I had responsibilities waiting for me back home.

With a bittersweet feeling, I packed my bags and headed to the airport, cherishing the memories I had created during this short but unforgettable trip. Goodbye, Brazil. I would like to stay here longer, but I just have to return.

Because you can forget some things, but these things may not forget you.

***
Visiting the graveyard late at night had become a routine. Ghosts no longer scared me as they did at the beginning. More precisely, they hardly scared me at all. Over time, I realized that you should be scared of the living more than the dead.

And here I am again, by Mia Lancaster's grave. Now, I'm not afraid of her spirit - quite the opposite, I'm waiting for it to appear. I need to ask, to talk, to find out. She must have an answer, or at least a clue.

As the car passed by the graveyard, I couldn't help but wonder if the driver noticed me. I stood there near the grave in the dimly lit night, a solitary figure in the darkness. What thoughts might be racing through their mind as they glimpsed a girl alone by a grave at this late hour? I watched the car's taillights disappear into the distance, left to ponder the mysteries that shrouded this eerie place.

"Hello," finally, it was Mia, "Did you miss me?"

"Missed you so much, to be honest!" I smiled genuinely.

"Have some more questions?"

"Something like that," I fell silent for a moment, gathering my thoughts, "It's about the treasure in the mansion. As far as I understand, it's in the fourth room..."

"The treasure you'll find in the fourth underground room is nothing more than a fake," she interrupted me, "However, it looks exactly like the real one."

"Then where's the real one? And what is it, anyway?"

"Follow me to the mansion," Mia said, "I will show you something."

Her voice sounded like an echo, it was beautiful and frightening at the same time. I just quietly followed her.

As we approached Di Flores Manor, an eerie atmosphere settled around the grand old building. The night was moonless, and the overgrown ivy clung to the walls as if reaching out for anyone who dared to come close.

I could feel Mia's presence trailing behind me, a faint but undeniable sensation. Her ghostly aura added to the eerie ambiance as we stood before the imposing double doors of the mansion. Mia, being a ghost, effortlessly passed through the solid wood, while I had to physically open the door.

The creaking of the heavy door echoed through the dark foyer as it reluctantly swung open, revealing the gloomy interior. It was as if the mansion itself resisted our intrusion, aware of the mysteries it held within its walls. With a mix of trepidation and curiosity, I stepped inside, followed by the lingering presence of Mia.