Chapter 58: A dangerous game

"Kaira, can she see them?"

"No."

"So, she doesn't know what happened?"

"I don't think she does."

In the depths of that moment, I found myself enveloped in an overwhelming sense of trepidation, as if the very air around me had grown heavy with fear. My heart, once a steady rhythm, quickened its pace, and my breaths became shallow and quivering.

"We need to break the door!" That was the first thing that came to my mind.

"Lia, wait! If we break the door, Grace will notice it later and immediately realize that someone was here. I'll try something else. You may try too."

"What exactly?"

But Kaira didn't have time to answer. Her gaze, unwavering and resolute, fixed upon the aged wooden door that guarded the attic's secrets. In that timeless moment, her eyes seemed to possess an otherworldly intensity.

And then, door yielded to her silent command. It swung open, not with a creak or a forceful push, but with a gentle, ethereal sway, as if it had been waiting for this very moment.

As we entered the attic, a disheartening sight greeted us. The first thing I noticed where millions of colourful glass shards scattered across the floor. It was evident that the Spectral Emitter had fallen and shattered into countless pieces.

In the far corner of the attic, Caroline lay motionless on the floor, her eyes tightly shut as if in a deep slumber. The atmosphere inside the attic had turned as frigid as a winter's night, filled with a lot of shadows and dense fog.

To my horror, I noticed that her skin and even her delicate eyelashes were encrusted with a layer of ice, painting a chilling picture of her stillness. Caroline... Oh, no... Not you...

"Is she alive?" I whispered almost inaudibly.

"I don't know," Kaira replied sharply.

At that very moment, something happened. Out of nowhere, she appeared in the room - Harper Clark.

"Hello, ladies," she spoke with disdain, "It's time to put an end to all of this."

I glanced at Kaira, but she didn't respond. My friend appeared remarkably composed. I understood why she wasn't getting angry - in her current state, she wouldn't be able to properly focus her power.

The thick veil of fog, which had concealed the room in an eerie shroud, began to disperse like a dream dissipating at dawn. Slowly but surely, the sinister shadows that had once gripped the space receded.

With each passing moment, the temperature seemed to rise, casting away the biting cold. The air took on a comforting warmth.

Caroline's eyelids fluttered, and then, like a miracle, her eyes slowly opened. She was alive! My roommate was alive!

"What's happened? Why is it so cold?" her voice was barely audible.

"Wake up, Caroline!" Kaira screamed. "Wake up and run away!"

We were sprinting down those stairs like our lives depended on it. The adrenaline was pumping, and we needed to get out of Grace's house pronto. It was like a mission to escape from there.

"Kaira, stupid girl, you betrayed us! You betrayed me and Mom! We'll find you, catch you, and bring you back..." Harper's shouts echoed from above as we were running downstairs.

We burst through the front door, and I swear I could almost feel the cold wind slap us in the face. We didn't stop for a breath; we just kept running. It was one of those moments when you just know you've got to get out of a place, no questions asked.

Danger lurked at our heels, coldness encroaching from all sides, and darkness hospitably inviting us into its firm embrace. But with us, we carried hope, warmth, and light, even if only in our thoughts. After all, aren't our thoughts a part of reality?...

***
Our dormitory room was a stark contrast to the cold attic shrouded in fog and haunting shadows. The atmosphere was much more pleasant here. Plush, velvety drapes framed the large windows, their sapphire hue akin to a serene starless sky. It was late night but we didn't want to sleep.

We were watching as Stormy zoomed around the room, and it was like she had a turbo boost compared to her early days. Basically, she was the queen of her own little adventure in that room.

Yep, Stormy wasn't a little kitten anymore; she was a full-blown, lively cat, and it was a joy to watch her grow. Those big, curious eyes she had as a kitten have turned into these mischievous, playful ones.

Caroline was finally starting to feel better. She was sitting there, sipping on a steaming cup of coffee, trying to chase away the chill. That hot coffee must've been like a cozy blanket for her, warming her up from the inside out. Her face, which had been kind of pale earlier, now had a bit more color, and she had this contented look about her as she cradled the warm mug. It's funny how a simple cup of coffee can work wonders sometimes, isn't it?

 It's funny how a simple cup of coffee can work wonders sometimes, isn't it?

"Kaira, listen," Caroline sounded uncertain, "I need to tell you something."

"Go ahead."

"I'm sorry for ever being angry with you. I don't understand why I acted that way, I was a foolish girl. At first, I didn't like you, but today, my life was saved thanks to you."

And she hugged Kaira. Oh, this female friendship - it's all drama and intrigue. Why can't we be a bit simpler?

"I forgive you," Kaira said.