Chapter 25: The dead never return

I sat at my desk in the classroom, deep in my thoughts about the upcoming ghost-summoning endeavor with Kaira. How would we summon Mia's ghost? Would it be safe? What if things went wrong and we ended up attracting the attention of some mischievous poltergeist instead? The possibilities swirled in my mind like a whirlwind, distracting me from the dull drone of the teacher's voice.

Just as I was pondering the potential hazards of ghostly encounters, a voice interrupted my reverie. It was none other than Mr. Johnson, our history teacher, with his thick-rimmed glasses perched on the edge of his nose and a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Liandra, care to share your thoughts with the rest of the class?" Mr. Johnson's voice cut through the classroom.

I snapped back to reality, realizing that I had been zoning out for who knows how long. I blinked, trying to appear attentive, but my mind was still in the realm of spirits and apparitions.

"Uh, sorry, Mr. Johnson," I stammered, struggling to come up with a suitable excuse. "I was just... contemplating the mysteries of the universe, you know? The whole 'meaning of life' thing."

Mr. Johnson raised an eyebrow, clearly amused by my feeble attempt at a response. "Ah, the meaning of life. Well, Liandra, while I appreciate your existential musings, I believe we were discussing the Battle of Hastings, not the secrets of the universe. Perhaps you can share your insights on that?"

The class erupted in laughter. Well, although I wasn't afraid to lie, I didn't manage to do it plausible.

The lesson continued. I exchanged views with Kaira - she definitely knew why I had been distracted...

***
The schoolyard was absolutely deserted and silence hung heavily in the air when I met Kaira after lessons.

"Here are the instructions," she said, waving a crumpled piece of paper in front of me, "We need Mia's ring, necklace and diary. The same goes for Hazel, but we still don't know the whereabouts of her belongings so it will be our next quest to find everything. Now, let's focus on Mia."

I rolled my eyes. I mean, seriously? Summoning spirits? It sounded like something out of a cheesy horror flick. As it is said, everything should be experienced in life.

"We are visiting her grave this night between midnight and 3 a. m. - prime time for ghosts to come up."

"Why this night?" I arched an eyebrow, curiosity getting the best of me.

"The sooner the better. This matter should not be delayed."

I rolled my eyes again, bursting into laughter for no reason.

"What if we die during the so-called ritual?"

"Lia!" Kaira scolded, giving me a playful nudge.

"Well, it was not the right thing to assume..." I smiled sceptically.

"We have to lay Mia's things upon her grave and say aloud special incantation in Latin," she continued her explanation.

"You know Latin?"

"No," she shook her head. "But I have these special words written on my paper, I will just read them. The translation into English is "Through the veil of time and space, we call upon your spirit. In the realm of shadows, we invoke your spectral form. From realms unknown, we beckon thee to appear in our midst. With words of ancient power, we bid you cross the threshold."

"Wow... We're like in a film about supernatural."

"I don't think it's so fun in reality," Kaira's expression turned serious.

Who knew what would happen when the clock struck midnight? One thing was for sure, though-we were about to embark on an adventure unlike any other. Ghosts, Latin incantations, and all. It was time to summon some spirits and see where the night would take us.

***
The fog enveloped the cemetery, adding an eerie atmosphere to the scene. The wind howled, the cold air bit at my skin, causing me to wrap my arms around myself for warmth. Well, it was my mistake to wear such a short skirt...

Kaira and I were standing silently near Mia's tomb. Her gravestone was right in front of us, a solemn reminder of her presence, her life that had been cut short. The moon cast an ethereal glow, casting long shadows across the landscape.

 The moon cast an ethereal glow, casting long shadows across the landscape

"Let's start," Kaira was determined.

With trepidation, Kaira and I carefully laid the necklace, the ring, and the diary upon Mia's grave. The moon cast a pale glow upon the objects.

Taking a deep breath, Kaira retrieved a crumpled piece of paper, its contents inscribed with ancient words in Latin. The paper trembled in her hands as she began to read aloud, her voice infused with a mixture of reverence and uncertainty. The words spilled from her lips, resonating with a mysterious power.

"Through the veil of time and space, we call upon your spirit. In the realm of shadows, we invoke your spectral form. From realms unknown, we beckon thee to appear in our midst. With words of ancient power, we bid you cross the threshold," she intoned, each syllable carrying a weight of significance.

As the final words left Kaira's lips, a subtle shift in the atmosphere occurred. The moon's silvery light took on an ethereal quality, casting elongated shadows upon the gravestones. A hush settled over the cemetery, as if the spirits of the departed were attuned to our summons.

Oh, my God, I wished I had stayed in my dormitory room with Stormy and Caroline, drinking hot coffee and learning a dozen of boring formulas. Even studying seemed better than summoning a spirit.

"Kaira, if we stay alive, I swear I will no more do anything like this," I said and she didn't reply.

I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid. I'm...

And then I heard it, a voice that seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere at once:

"Hello."