Chapter 44: The final task

The following few days were emotionally difficult. I couldn't help but marvel at the power of Mia's written words to evoke such a profound response within me.

And I even remember this light green dress in details - Mia was wearing it on her portrait and when she appeared in the graveyard that night. This color that always seemed to complement her in the most enchanting way. The fabric flowed gracefully, like a whisper carried by the wind. This dress remained with Mia in the afterlife.

She was elegant, beautiful and well-mannered, like a princess from a fairytale. And also very kind, intelligent, sympathetic... Too many good adjectives to describe this fragile girl.

She had everything, except for what she deserved the most - happiness.

***
But life is not only about magic. There should be place for some celebrations also.

So, today is my grandma's birthday. The house was alive with the chatter and laughter of family members who had gathered to celebrate. More than 20 of us had come together, creating a vibrant mosaic of generations under one roof. The aroma of delicious food filled the air, mingling with the warmth of shared stories and long-awaited reunions.

 The aroma of delicious food filled the air, mingling with the warmth of shared stories and long-awaited reunions

My aunt, with her curiosity and friendly smile, approached me amidst the crowd. "Liandra, how's life at that fancy boarding school of yours?"

I returned her smile, trying to keep my answers balanced between truth and a carefully constructed facade. "It's going well. Classes, assignments, the usual."

That was a little white lie, but what else should have I said?

She raised an eyebrow, a glint of knowing in her eyes. "And friends? Are you making good friends there?"

I traced the rim of my glass, buying myself a moment to craft a response. "Yeah, definitely. There are some really nice people. We study together and hang out."

Well, I mostly communicate with ghosts and the girl who knows how to summon them and my typical place for hanging out is the graveyard, but I think it's not the information my relatives need.

As the evening progressed, the air was filled with laughter, stories, and the clinking of glasses. I felt relaxed and even forgot about all my worries - sometimes it's essential.

In a few hours, Martin and I found ourselves yearning for a break from the lively family gathering. Amidst the clatter of dishes and the continuous flow of conversation, we managed to slip away unnoticed and venture into the quiet retreat of the attic. It was a haven away from the watchful eyes and hushed discussions.

The attic's dimly lit space enveloped us like a cocoon, and the musty scent of old memories mingled with the promise of our own secrets to be shared. We settled onto a weathered table, our sanctuary from the echoing laughter and celebratory songs that resonated from below.