Chapter 37: Into the forest

The morning began with a message from Grace:

A new task is already waiting for you.

So, this time we had to find Hazel's ring and necklace. Mrs. Coleman also provided us with the coordinates of where we should search. And yes, once again it's somewhere in the forest. But this time it will be a treehouse, where Hazel used to spend her time while she was alive. Well, let's see what comes out of this...

But before our following adventure started, a serious conversation had awaited us.

"Lia, don't you find this whole situation suspicious?"

"It does seem suspicious, indeed. So, what's my way out?"

"Just remember, the previous keepers encountered the diary at 15 and died at 17. You encountered the diary at 15 too, and there isn't much time left until you turn 17. Doesn't that concern you?" she almost screamed.

"No," I replied skeptically.

Kaira looked at me as if I were a complete idiot. Maybe I really am one - I won't deny that. After everything that has happened, it's hard to maintain a sound mind.

"But you could die if you don't stop all of this!"

"And who said that? I will survive against all odds," I retorted boldly.

Honestly, I myself didn't believe in what I was saying. But, in my opinion, the most important thing is to always be confident. Even if things don't work out, at least you won't be disappointed in your own attempt.

"Lia, who did you sell your soul to for such confidence?"

"I obtained my confidence for free - quite a precious gift from fate, wouldn't you say?"

We didn't continue discussing the topic - quite a useless thing, to be honest.

***
After the final school bell rang, signaling the end of another tedious day of lessons, Kaira and I wasted no time in hatching our mischievous plan.

"Hey, girls, where are you going to?" that was rarely to hear at least one phrase from Caroline recently...

"We will return in no time," I lied.

As we traipsed through the woods, the air felt strangely warm for winter. It was like Mother Nature had accidentally flicked the thermostat a few degrees too high, leaving us sweating and regretting our choice of thick winter jackets. I couldn't help but wonder if the sun had developed a sudden case of forgetfulness and left its winter vacation behind schedule.

Kaira, ever the optimist, quipped, "Who needs snow when you can have a sauna in the forest, right?" Her words were accompanied by a playful wink, as if she had found the silver lining in this bizarre weather phenomenon.

"Sauna or not, I'm melting faster than an ice cream cone on a summer's day. Let's just hope the tree house is worth the perspiration," I replied, fanning myself with my hand as if I could conjure a cool breeze out of thin air.

Eventually, after navigating through a labyrinth of tangled branches and dodging wayward squirrels, we stumbled upon the old tree house. It stood before us, a weathered wooden structure, its charm accentuated by nature's artistic touch.

Finally, we are here.

***
With each step, the creaking of the worn ladder beneath us resonated through the quiet forest. We ascended, like intrepid explorers on a quest to unveil a long-forgotten treasure.

Inside the old and abandoned treehouse, a hushed atmosphere enveloped us, as if time itself had halted within its wooden embrace. The walls, weathered and worn, whispered stories of bygone days, while beams of sunlight streamed through cracks, casting ethereal rays that danced upon the dust-laden air.

"Wow, it's so unusual there!" Kaira exclaimed.

Amidst this forgotten sanctuary, our gaze was drawn to a solitary photograph, delicately affixed to the wall. It depicted a young girl with a smiling and kind face, emanating an aura of warmth.

Her blue dress billowed gently around her, capturing the essence of a carefree spirit. Curly light brown hair framed her face, adorned with a sprinkling of freckles that bestowed an added touch of whimsy. Her eyes, a captivating blend of brown and green, seemed to hold a world of secrets within their depths.

"Hazel?" I assumed.

It was she, no doubts. We found her photo in the treehouse she had enjoyed spending time inside. In that moment, I remembered I caught a glimpse of the same photo in Hazel's diary.

As my gaze fell upon the weathered walls of the treehouse, a beautifully carved sign caught my attention. One more portal?..

I touched the sign with my fingertips, so did Kaira. A mixture of apprehension and excitement gripped my heart as we crossed the threshold.

When my feet finally touched solid ground, I found myself standing in an unfamiliar room, bathed in a soft, ethereal glow. It was the very room that had graced the cover of Mia's diary, a place of captivating mystery and undeniable beauty.

Stained glass windows bathed the room in a kaleidoscope of hues, casting a mesmerizing play of light and shadow upon the tapestries that adorned the walls. A majestic grand piano commanded attention in the center, its glossy surface reflecting the flickering candlelight that danced around the room. The air was filled with a delicate harmony of aged parchment and the lingering scent of forgotten melodies.

I could almost imagine Mia's graceful presence, her fingers gliding effortlessly across the piano keys, as the room reverberated with haunting sounds that transcended time.

"Perfect place to hide from parents when they are angry!" I laughed and Kaira agreed with me.

My next step was to try to open the door in the room - unfortunately, it was completely locked. The only way to get out from here was the portal in the wall.

"Lia, look at the piano!" Kaira exclaimed.

They were here - Hazel's ring and necklace were put directly on the musical instrument. They were exactly like Mia's ones except for metal - Mia's jewellery was purely golden whereas Hazel's belinging were made of white gold.

"Take it and let's go away - I'm afraid there could be a trap," my friend panicked.

Maybe she was right, who knows? But I was too busy with my thoughts to get worried.

"Kaira, do you think we're in Di Flores Manor?" I was curious.

"Not sure, Lia. To my mind, it's definitely possible."

And I didn't think of any other variants.