Chapter 14: The unnamed grave

I was sitting in Mrs. Fairfield's office with Caroline, waiting to hear what our punishment would be. The headmistress had a stern expression on her face as she looked at us over her glasses.

"I hope you both understand the severity of what you've done," she said, her voice was sharp

Caroline seemed to feel anxious. As for me, I didn't understand the whole severity - yes, we were naughty, but we're alive and returned safe and sound. These adults like exaggerating sometimes...

"You snuck out of the school in the middle of the night and went to a nightclub. You put yourselves in danger and broke school rules."

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Fairfield," I said, trying to sound contrite. "We didn't mean to cause any trouble. It was just a mistake..."

"A mistake that could have had serious consequences," the headmistress said. "You both will be punished accordingly."

We were told to have detention for a week, which meant we would have to stay after school every day and do some cleaning in the classroom. Moreover, we were banned from all school trips and social events for the rest of the term.

"We understand," Caroline said calmly, she really looked guilty.

"Good," the headmistress said, standing up from her desk. "I hope this will be a lesson to you both. You're here to learn and grow, not to engage in reckless behavior."

Well, Mrs. Fairfield was not as welcoming as on my first day here...

***
Whatever it is, my life was not intended to obey. I had a lot to do beside school and learning - and that would be visiting an old graveyard this time. Even if I'd got caught, that would be worth it.

This time, my destination is an old cemetery in Ravenwood. I have to visit it at night - otherwise, there will be a lot of explaining to do if I'm noticed, which is quite likely during the day. Nobody should see me there and noone should find out I'll leave Hazelford for some time.

First of all, I went through the portal in the school library and appeared in Di Flores Manor. Then, I headed to my destination.

Let's start this mission...

***
I cautiously walked through the wrought-iron gates of the abandoned graveyard, the sound of the rusty metal screeching as it opened. The moon was full and bright, casting an eerie glow over the cracked tombstones and overgrown grass. The air was thick and heavy, with a strange scent of damp earth and decaying leaves.

Oh God, what am I doing here?.. Was it the only entertainment I could find - visiting the old cemetery at night?

The silence was almost deafening, broken only by the distant hooting of an owl. The gravestones were crooked and worn, some with barely legible inscriptions, as if the souls they belonged to were long forgotten. The wind picked up, causing the leaves to rustle and the tree branches to sway, creating ominous shadows on the ground.