Chapter 10: The lies we tell

The weekends were over and I had to return to Hazelford. Time flew quickly.

It's been a few weeks since the mysterious discovery of the diary and the appearance of Stormy in our dorm. Life seems to have returned to normal, at least as normal as it can be in a boarding school.

 Life seems to have returned to normal, at least as normal as it can be in a boarding school

Classes have resumed and I spend most of my time studying and preparing for tests. The weekends were filled with social activities like movie nights, game nights, and parties in the common room. I even managed to make a few new friends.

Now, Stormy is a happy and healthy part of our little dorm community. She still loves to play and snuggle, and I'm grateful every day that we decided to take her in. I decided, to be precise.

Taking care of a kitten wasn't easy, but we were determined to make it work. Caroline and I took turns feeding her and cleaning up after her.

It was a challenge keeping her hidden, but Stormy quickly became a part of our little dorm room family. She played with us during study breaks and snuggle up with us at night. I never thought I could love a pet so much.

I never thought I'd be the kind of person who enjoyed studying and spending time in the library. But here I am, buried under piles of books and actually enjoying it.

Boarding school has changed me in ways I never thought possible. I used to be the kind of girl who just went with the flow, never really caring about my grades or my future. But now, I find myself getting excited about classes and assignments. I've become a typical nerd, and I'm not sure if I'm actually proud of it.

 I've become a typical nerd, and I'm not sure if I'm actually proud of it

Boarding school has changed me in ways I never thought possible. I used to be the kind of girl who just went with the flow, never really caring about my grades or my future. But now, I find myself getting excited about classes and assignments. I've become a typical nerd, and I'm actually proud of it.

I think part of the reason I've changed so much is because I'm surrounded by other students who are so passionate about learning. We push each other to do better, and there's a real sense of camaraderie among us. Of course, there are still times when I miss the carefree days of my old life.

There are still no signs of any further mysteries or secrets to uncover, and part of me is relieved. It's nice to have a break from all the drama and excitement. But another part of me can't help but feel a little disappointed. I can't shake off the feeling that there's more to discover, more secrets to uncover.

I try to focus on my studies and my friendships, but my mind keeps wandering back to the diary and the strange symbols. I wonder what they mean and if they're somehow connected to the secrets of the manor.

For now, though, I'll just have to wait and see if anything else happens. The next few weeks are sure to be busy with studying and end-of-term activities, so maybe it's for the best that things have quieted down. But a part of me feels that there's still more to come.

***
I've always been interested in photography, but I never really got the chance to pursue it properly until now. I was browsing through the list of extracurricular activities and saw that there was a photography club. I decided to join it.

Over a few weeks, I learned about different camera settings, lighting and composition. I found myself spending most of my free time in the darkroom, experimenting with different techniques and trying to perfect my photos. I even started carrying my camera with me everywhere, always on the lookout for an interesting shot.

Life seemed to be absolutely normal... until some time.

***
Finally, I had plenty of time and nothing to do one evening. I knew I had to read... I just couldn't refuse.

As soon as Caroline left the room to grab her dinner, I quickly pulled out Mia's diary from under my pillow. I opened this old notebook and turned the page, waiting for the next entry...

But there was something else. And this time it was not even one more correspondence.

***
I felt myself being drawn deeper into the world of the past. I saw it - not just words on a page, but a window into a bygone era. It seemed like a real movie on a paper, as if the pages had come alive, and I found myself transported back in time.

The room before me was small and dimly lit, with an old wooden table in the center. Two young men sat there, one with dark brown and curly hair, and the other with light brown and straight. I recognized immediately who they were. The first one was Amos and the second was his elder brother, Luciano. I saw them many times on family photos.

The sepia-toned scene before me was almost like a dream. I watched as they talked and expressed their emotions, their faces illuminated by the flickering light of a candle. It was like a moment frozen in time, captured forever in the pages of the diary. These people have already passed away, but they remained truly alive on the paper.

I was listening attentively to every word of their conversation.

"Amos, admit it - that's crazy."

"Isn't it?" He laughed. "I can say even more - that's insane."

"What will you do in the USA absolutely alone?"

"Why alone?" Amos laughed again. "You all are going with me."

"I don't believe you will just leave Italy. Here is our home, our possessions, our family - the whole our life!"

"Luciano, you know - if I don't do this, I may get into jail. All my secrets started to leak and I'll face real problems in no time." His voice was serious. "And you won't leave me alone in the other country. We are family, after all. We have to support each other. We always do this."

"It's your fault that you have to escape. I always tried to convince you - document forgery is a very risky thing."

"But look, I've earned a lot of money!"

"And a lot of problems also!" Luciano almost shouted.

"Problems are made to be solved." Amos smiled. "Now we'll take all the money and will live a wealthy life in America. I'll start business and I'll help all of you." He paused. "Just be patient and wait."

The "movie" paused on this moment. Amos and Luciano now were frozen in time on the pages - it looked like a photo. I was really amazed - the diary can give not only written answers. It also shows real episodes like a film, but on the pages. That was unbelievable!

Now I understand even more - Amos didn't move to the USA for no reason. He could get into jail twice. The first time could be in Italy where he managed to earn money with document forgery. Then he escaped and took all his family there. But life didn't teach him anything - Amos continued his illegal activities in the new country.

One question remains open: why does the diary reveal me these dark secrets?..