Chapter 48: Until it hides

I was sitting in that boring math class, pretending to be attentive while my mind wandered far away. My notebook was filled with sketches rather than equations, and I couldn't wait for the school day to end.

Suddenly, the classroom door swung open, and my headmistress, Mrs. Fairfield, appeared in the doorway. She looked directly at me and asked, "Liandra Di Flores?"

My heart skipped a beat. Why would Mrs. Fairfield want to talk to me during class? I quickly gathered my things and followed her into the hallway.

"Am I in trouble or huge trouble, Mrs. Fairfield?" I asked.

To my surprise, she smiled. It was a rare sight indeed, because I was not so well-behaved recently. "No, my dear, you're not in trouble. In fact, quite the opposite. You've caught the attention of someone important in the fashion world."

Confusion swirled in my mind. "What do you mean?"

"Your recent photo shoot for the contest, Liandra. It was discovered online, and it seems it has created quite a buzz. You have a unique talent, and it hasn't gone unnoticed."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "You mean... someone wants me to work for them?"

Mrs. Fairfield nodded. "Exactly. You've been invited to join a team of photographers for a fashion show in Brazil. It's a fantastic opportunity, and they're impressed with your work."

My heart raced with excitement. "Brazil? Are you serious?"

Mrs. Fairfield chuckled warmly. "As serious as can be, Liandra. The fashion show is in just two weeks, so you'll need to prepare quickly. But I have complete faith that you'll excel," and she smiled even more genuinely, "And I will allow you to skip school for this period absolutely legally."

My joy had no limits. Brazil, a catwalk, a job of a photographer - it all seemed so unattainable, but it was a reality that eagerly awaited me just right in that moment.

***
I decided to take a leisurely stroll in the park after my classes. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm, golden hue over the tranquil surroundings. It was a perfect time to clear my mind and enjoy the solitude.

As I walked along the winding path, I marveled at the serene beauty of the park. Tall trees rustled gently in the breeze, and the distant chirping of birds added to the peaceful atmosphere. There was hardly anyone around, making me feel like I had the entire park to myself.

However, just as I was lost in my thoughts, a young girl seemed to materialize out of thin air right in front of me. I blinked in surprise. I recognized the girl; I had seen her before...

"Harper!?" I screamed.

"Do you recognize me?" she smirked maliciously.

Yes, it was her - violet eyes and short, straight hair of the same colour. And that look, filled with frenzy. Her eyes radiated not joy but rather menace.

But I wasn't one to be easily frightened - what could a girl who hung out with ghosts alone at night in a cemetery possibly fear?

"I know you killed her," I said boldly and loudly.

"Killed whom?" she asked teasingly.

"You already know this, don't you?"

Harper just smirked again. I hate, I hate her with all my mind and all my soul. However, I don't want to waste my energy on anger - this disgusting girl was not worth it.

"I've killed many people, so who exactly do you have in mind?" she chuckled disgustingly. "By the way, Miss di Flores, I have an offer you can't refuse."