Chapter 43: Farewell, Dear Diary

Di Flores Manor has long held a special place in my heart. It feels more like home to me than my own house, yet at the same time, it remains distant and otherworldly, like a realm beyond reach. But despite it all, there is an irresistible pull that draws me back here again and again, even knowing that I may once more find myself in trouble.

After all, this house is not mine, and a new owner has yet to be found. It presents a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Therefore, I must savor the time spent there, while there are still no new residents to claim it.

As I sat in the quiet solitude of the mansion's library, I allowed the weight of the day to slowly lift from my shoulders. The air in the room was still, filled only with the faint scent of old books and the soft crackling of the fireplace. It was a much-needed respite after the tension of the court hearing.

Closing my eyes for a moment, I allowed myself to simply be present in this tranquil sanctuary

Closing my eyes for a moment, I allowed myself to simply be present in this tranquil sanctuary. The thoughts and worries of the day slowly faded into the background as I absorbed the peace and serenity of the surroundings.

Suddenly, the calmness was unexpectedly interrupted.

***
Startled by the sound of faint sobbing, I instinctively turned my head towards the window, thinking that someone was crying outside. With a curious mix of concern and curiosity, I hurriedly made my way towards the source of the sound, my steps echoing softly in the grand corridor.

As I approached the window, I carefully pushed it open, allowing a gentle breeze to caress my face. But to my surprise, the crying did not grow distant as I had expected. Instead, it seemed to grow louder, echoing through the hallways of the mansion.

Am I really alone here?..

Oh, Lia, please, this time be wise. Go away from this cursed house, that may save your life. No more investigations for now, you had enough of it. Lia...

Puzzled, I followed the sound, its haunting melody guiding me deeper into the depths of the ancient building. Each step carried me closer to the source of the tears, and a sense of unease settled over me. What could be causing such sorrow within these walls?

The crying seemed to emanate from the heart of the mansion, drawing me towards a room shrouded in shadows. It was the room where Mia Lancaster once resided...

Heart pounding in my chest, I cautiously stepped into Mia's room. Gripping the flashlight tightly, I aimed its beam towards the wall, illuminating the space before me.

And there, in the flickering light, I saw it—an ethereal shadow of a girl, tears streaming down her translucent face.

My breath caught in my throat as I realized the impossibility of the situation. I was alone in the room, yet the silhouette before me seemed so real, so tangible. The soft sobs echoed through the chamber, piercing my ears with their haunting melody.