Chapter 28: Stranger things

I was trembling with fear. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I jumped to my feet, the previous tranquility shattered. The crackling of flames grew louder, their orange glow becoming more visible through the cracks in the floorboards.

Without wasting another moment, I sprinted towards the door, my heart pounding in my chest. Thick smoke began to fill the space, making it difficult to breathe. Fear propelled me forward as I stumbled down the stairs, the sound of the inferno growing louder with each step.

As I reached the ground floor, the intensity of the heat was overwhelming. Flames danced around me, hungrily devouring everything in their path. Panic consumed me, but I knew I had to find a way out. I navigated through the smoke-filled rooms, desperately searching for an escape route.

I headed swiftly to the portal that leads to my school library, but the sign was also on fire. I was afraid the only way to escape was from the windows and my fear of height stopped me.

But I had no other choice - all the doors were in flames.

With renewed determination, I lunged forward, breaking through the window from the second floor and feeling the cool night air rush against my face. I tumbled onto the snow outside, gasping for breath, my heart pounding with a mixture of relief and terror.

As I stood there, shivering in my pajamas, the harsh winter air cut through me like icy daggers. The thin fabric offered little protection against the biting cold, and I could feel my teeth chattering uncontrollably.

The frosty ground beneath my bare feet sent a jolt of freezing sensation up my legs. Each breath I took formed a misty cloud in front of me, a stark reminder of the frigid temperature. I wrapped my arms around my shivering body, desperately trying to generate some heat, but it was a feeble defense against the winter chill.

 I wrapped my arms around my shivering body, desperately trying to generate some heat, but it was a feeble defense against the winter chill

Through the haze and smoke, my eyes widened in disbelief as I suddenly caught sight of a figure fleeing from the burning house. Dressed in a long, flowing black cape, the mysterious silhouette darted away from the chaos, disappearing into the darkness.

Who... Who was that? Was it an arsonist?

Finally, the blaring sirens cut through the silence of the night, drowning out all other sounds. The approaching firefighters brought a glimmer of hope amidst the chaos and danger that engulfed the house.

As I looked back at the once majestic Di Flores Manor, now consumed by flames, I realized how lucky I was to have escaped. The realization hit me like a wave, and I shuddered at the thought of what could have been.

I am alive.

***
I was sitting in my room in complete silence - not the dorm room, but the one in my home. At least, it's warm here unlike outside and the house isn't on fire. I have enough of all these dangers and wish for safety as nobody else.

Downstairs on the ground floor, my family was having a serious discussion, but I tuned them out. I just wanted some peace and quiet, a break from all the craziness that had been happening lately.

Who in the world would set the house on fire? And for what reason? Was there something more to this incident than a mere accident?

Suddenly, my mom barged into my room. Darn it, I should've pretended to be fast asleep. Maybe she'd be less mad in the morning if she thought I had no clue what was going on.

"Liandra, we have some questions for you."

She was more serious than the day we escaped to the night club. I would be punished, but I just don't care - it's not for the first time.

"How did it happen that you were in Di Flores Manor in your pajamas at the time you were supposed to sleep in your dorm?"

I knew it was impossible, even forbidden to explain the whole situation. And I understood I had to lie quite a lot - I was prepared to it.

"Mum, I just was drunk! I can't remember a thing how I ended up there!"

This lie was cruel but it was still better than all the truth about magic. I mean, how could I possibly explain that I stumbled upon a secret journal, summoned a ghost, and accidentally turned out to be a sorceress? It was too out there to comprehend.

My mother didn't seem to be astonished a lot - I have been not so obedient kid all my life. By the way, what to expect from such a teenager as me?

"We'll think what to do with you, young lady."

As she left the room, her voice fading away, I let out a sigh of relief. The less she knew about the crazy stuff I'd been dealing with, the better. I mean, how could I possibly explain the supernatural encounters and the mysteries surrounding Di Flores Manor?

Yeah, it was better to lie that I had been drunk. Not a great idea, but also not the worst one.

***
Fortunately, Di Flores Manor didn't take too much damage from the fire, and it could be restored to its former glory. Of course, it would require a whole lot of time and effort to get everything back in shape.

I'm not sure whether the portals were destroyed and whether they can be destroyed at all, but I will go and check this as soon as possible. To my mind, this magic can't be erased simply with a fire.

Just as I was lost in my thoughts, my phone buzzed, signaling a missed call from Kaira. It must be important. I had to talk to her right away.

I quickly dialed her number, my heart pounding with anticipation. She answered on the second ring, her voice filled with urgency.

"Lia, it's Kaira. I have something important to discuss. May I come into your house?"