Chapter 27: Strong girls do not give up

"Lia, get up! You'll be late to the first lesson."

Those were the words that rudely interrupted my peaceful slumber that morning - Caroline is very stubborn sometimes and, of course, too anxious when it comes to education.

I pretended not to hear her, burrowing deeper into my warm blankets, hoping she would take the hint and leave me be. But, as expected, she refused to surrender.

"Lia, seriously, you'll skip the whole class!"

"Let it be," I mumbled indifferently in response, clearly not bothered by the impending academic disaster.

Caroline, however, was not one to easily accept defeat. She continued her verbal assault.

"How can you... You are going to have bad marks, you will be reported to your parents for violating the rules and... and..." my roommate was just in panic.

"Caroline, let it go. My parents already know I'm a somewhat problematic kid, they won't be astonished." I closed my eyes again, hoping to catch a few more minutes of precious sleep.

There was a brief silence that hung in the air, as if Caroline was weighing her options.

"So, you will just stay in your bed?" she asked, her tone a mixture of disbelief and resignation.

"Yes."

"And you will skip a lesson?"

"Yes."

"And..."

"Yes!" I almost screamed.

There was another pause, Caroline seemingly contemplating the absurdity of my decision.

"Ok, it's up to you," this time she was calm.

Curiosity got the best of her, and she couldn't resist asking one more question before leaving our room.

"Why are you sleepy today?"

"Oh, the night was difficult."

"Have you studied till late hour?" she raised one eyebrow.

"Something like that," I lied.

With that, Caroline retreated, leaving me to my peaceful solitude. I drifted back to sleep, a mischievous grin formed on my face.

Finally, I didn't skip one lesson - I skipped all of them, seeing ghosts in my dreams.

***
November flew by in the blink of an eye.
Winter arrived, knocking on our doorstep with a snowy embrace. The first day of December greeted us with a white wonderland, as delicate snowflakes danced through the air, painting the world in a frosty veil.

The arrival of December meant that Christmas was inching closer. The air was filled with a sense of enchantment, as if the very essence of the season had sprinkled its magic across the town. Storefronts were adorned with twinkling lights and colorful decorations, while the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked treats wafted through the streets.

 Storefronts were adorned with twinkling lights and colorful decorations, while the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked treats wafted through the streets

As I walked to school, bundled up in my cozy winter attire, I couldn't help but feel the infectious spirit of the holiday season. Snowflakes kissed my rosy cheeks, and I watched as children gleefully threw themselves into snowball fights, their laughter echoing in the crisp winter air. It was a picture-perfect scene straight out of a holiday movie.

Spending time at schoolyard during our break, I discussed an essential issue with Caroline.

"We have to consider where to keep Stormy during winter holidays," I began, "My parents will disinherit me and throw me out on the street if they find out a new creature in our home."

"Unfortunately, my parents are against any pets except for aquarium fish." Caroline added with a frustrated sigh.

"Same thing about Martin..." I groaned, feeling the weight of our predicament.

You may laugh at me, but, to my mind, this issue was of high importance - much more than all those useless grades.

"I will try to ask Kaira," suggested I.

"Since when do you talk so closely?" Caroline got angry.

Caroline's frustration started to bubble up, and she became visibly angry. Her brows furrowed, and her lips formed a tight line as she crossed her arms.

"Caroline..." I tried to calm her down, "Even if you don't like a particular person, that doesn't mean the other have to ignore this person too!"

I took a deep breath, trying to maintain a calm demeanor. It wasn't the most harmonious agreement, but sometimes, compromise was necessary to navigate tricky situations.

"Liandra, don't you see she is selfish?"

"She just seems to be," I tried to reassure her, "And she definitely won't refuse to help us with our cat if her parents allow."

Caroline didn't seem to like the idea but we had no choice. Also, I couldn't explain her why Kaira became friends with me and what we have in common.

All in all, Kaira agreed to our terms. She will return Stormy to us when winter holidays are over. We could finally focus on enjoying the upcoming holidays without the worry of our mischievous feline causing chaos in our homes.

It was a weight off our shoulders, of course... but Caroline was still annoyed for obvious reason.

***
I was sitting alone in the attic of Di Flores Manor, enjoying the quietude that enveloped me. It was late at night, and the stillness of the house provided a sense of solace. The dim light from a flickering candle danced on the walls, casting eerie shadows that added to the mysterious atmosphere.

Lost in my thoughts, I was unaware of the danger lurking nearby. Suddenly, a faint smell reached my nostrils, like something burning. Confusion clouded my mind until I saw it - a thin wisp of smoke curling its way through the air.

I left the attic and quickly ran down the stairs to see what had happened. Panic surged within me as I realized the whole danger.

The mansion was on fire.