Chapter 22: The dissonance within

I was sitting at my desk, trying to stay awake during yet another mind-numbing lecture on ancient history. The monotonous drone of my teacher's voice threatened to lull me into a state of perpetual boredom. Just as I was about to drift off into a daydream, the classroom door swung open, and in walked the formidable figure of Mrs. Fairfield, our headmistress.

All eyes turned towards her as she surveyed the classroom with an air of authority. I straightened up in my seat, curious to know what had brought her to our class today. Mrs. Fairfield's eyes met mine, and a mischievous glint flickered in her gaze. My heart skipped a beat. What did she want from me this time?

"Liandra," she called out, her voice cutting through the monotony of the classroom. "Could you please join me outside for a moment?"

I had two thoughts: the first one - they were thinking to drop me out from school; the second one - I had been already dropped.

So, what would be this time? Had I done something wrong? Was there some sort of punishment awaiting me? But the situation was completely different.

As I stepped into the corridor, Mrs. Fairfield greeted me with a warm smile. It was an odd sight, seeing her in such a genial mood. She motioned for me to follow her, and together we walked down the quiet hallway, our footsteps echoing against the tiled floor.

 She motioned for me to follow her, and together we walked down the quiet hallway, our footsteps echoing against the tiled floor

Once we reached her office, Mrs. Fairfield motioned for me to take a seat. I perched on the edge of the chair, anticipation coursing through my veins. She leaned forward, her eyes gleaming with an unspoken secret.

Why is she so kind?.. Isn't it suspicious?

"Liandra," she began, her voice a hushed whisper, "I've noticed your talent and creativity in capturing the world through your lens. I believe you have what it takes to make a mark in photography."

Emm... What? Was I sleeping? Was it a dream?

"Sorry, what do you mean?"

"There's a photography contest coming up, and I'd like you to represent our school. It's a prestigious event, and I have a feeling you'll make quite an impression."

My heart raced with excitement. A photography contest? This was an opportunity to showcase my skills, to express myself through my art. I eagerly nodded, a smile spreading across my face.

I felt a surge of pride welling up inside me. Finally, someone recognized my passion and saw the potential in my work. Mrs. Fairfield continued, her voice full of enthusiasm.

"You have to create a photo album in your unique style until the end of January," she explained. "Let your creativity soar, Liandra. I have no doubt that you'll create something extraordinary."

"Count me in, Mrs. Fairfield," I replied, my voice tinged with enthusiasm. "I'm ready to take on the challenge."

The headmistress beamed at my response, her confidence in my abilities evident. She explained that the award was a secret, adding an air of mystery to the whole endeavor. She handed me a brochure detailing the contest's requirements.