Chapter 23: Blood ties

I just blinked without any understanding

I just blinked without any understanding. The world around me seemed to tilt slightly, as if reality itself had shifted beneath my feet.

"How... How do you know?" I demanded, my voice laced with defiance and a hint of disbelief.

Kaira met my challenging gaze with a mischievous smile playing upon her lips. Her eyes sparkled with a rebellious glint, as if daring me to question the impossible.

"You think I'm just another ordinary soul, Liandra?" Kaira retorted, her tone tinged with defiance. "Well, prepare to have your mind blown."

With a flick of her wrist, she extended her hand towards me, exposing a barely visible golden glow that emanated from her palm.

I squinted, trying to make sense of the ethereal radiance dancing before me.

"What the hell is that?" I exclaimed, unable to contain my astonishment.

Kaira chuckled, relishing in my incredulity.

"Those, my dear friend, are the marks of magic," she declared triumphantly. "They're ancient symbols, hidden to most eyes, but visible only to sorcerers like us. Don't feel so suspicious - I don't plan any evil for you. I just need you to know."

I scoffed, folding my arms across my chest.

"Sorcerers? You've got to be kidding me. Magic isn't real, it's just a bunch of fairy tales."

"Lia, don't try lying to me - I know you have already encountered it," she was serious, "I am aware of everything."

"How?"

"I have no right to tell you right now."

"Then, how can I trust you?"

"I don't insist on your trust - please, just listen to me."

Kaira's eyes narrowed, a flicker of determination igniting within her.

"We are the same blood, Lia. The signs are a proof of our shared heritage, our bloodline of sorcery."

My skepticism wavered slightly as I caught a glimpse of the intricate golden signs. They were undeniably mesmerizing, an enchanting language etched onto her skin.

"Okay, let's say I entertain your delusion for a moment," I quipped, my rebellious nature resurfacing. "How the hell are we related? I'm pretty sure my family tree doesn't have any branches leading to such snobs as you."

"Well, surprise, surprise. Turns out magic power is heritable, and we're distant relatives in this mystical lineage," she explained.

I felt a jolt of electricity run through my veins, a mixture of shock and curiosity intertwining within me. The rebel in me couldn't resist the allure of this unconventional truth.

"But I don't have the same sign as you!" I stated sceptically.

"Your power is not so developped," she explained calmly, "Work on your talent and you will be able to see and do impossible things."