Chapter 45: Mia's melody

The message was short, yet it held a gravity that sent a shiver down my spine. A "final task" - the words hung in the air like a promise.

As the minutes ticked by, the classroom seemed to fade into the background as my thoughts raced ahead, pondering the nature of this task that Grace had in store for us. With each heartbeat, the anticipation grew, intertwining with the thrill of the unknown that had become an undeniable part of my life.

Mrs. Coleman used to be this mysterious figure we all kind of trusted, but not anymore. That whole Harper thing had me suspicious. It was like they were connected somehow, and I wasn't buying her act anymore.

I decided right then and there that I needed to outsmart Mrs. Coleman. If she thought she could manipulate us with secrets and tasks, she had another thing coming. I might be a teenager, but I wasn't about to be anyone's pawn in some weird game. It was time to turn the tables and find out what she was really up to.

***
Kaira and I were back in Mrs. Coleman's office. We shared a quick glance that said, "Here we go again." We were kind of used to her mysterious tasks by now, but each one was a new adventure waiting to happen. So, we sat there, hearts racing, ready for whatever Mrs. Coleman had cooked up for us this time.

Grace looked at Kaira and me with a serious expression. "To break the curse and find the final treasure, we need the presence of the last three diary keepers - Mia, Hazel and you, Liandra. That's why you must summon them."

Kaira and I exchanged puzzled glances. "Where is the treasure?"

Grace leaned in, her voice low. "You'll need to find the treasure on your own, that's an important point. Once you have it, summon Mia and Hazel. Guide them to the last treasure. Then, everything will happen."

"But how does the treasure look like?" I raised my eyebrow.

"You will realize when you finally find it."

***
It was one of those evenings when the thought of homework felt unbearable. I slouched in my dorm room chair, staring at the stack of textbooks and assignments scattered across my desk. The idea of cracking open those books was about as appealing as a trip to the dentist.

Stormy, who had grown from a tiny kitten into a fully grown black cat, was curled up in a fluffy ball of fur on my lap. Despite her growth, she hadn't lost an ounce of her cuteness. Her amazing eyes gleamed as she gazed up at me with a look that seemed to say, "Let's forget the homework and do something fun."

I couldn't agree more. With a sigh, I reached for the leather-bound diary that had become a central part of our mysterious journey. It was as if Mia's spirit lingered within these pages, waiting to offer guidance or answers.

"Okay, diary," I whispered to the notebook, my voice barely louder than a breath. "I've got some questions, and I hope you can help me out." Stormy blinked at me, seemingly intrigued by the whole affair.

L: Hello. We need to talk. It's serious.
D: Hi. It's been a while, I missed you. I thought you didn't trust me anymore.
L: It's not that I want to trust you, but I don't have many choices.
D: Interesting, interesting...

It was difficult to decide where to start the conversation. Indeed, what do you talk about with someone who rarely reveals anything substantial?

L: Diary, I need an honest answer. Can we trust Grace Coleman?
D: What do you think?
L: I think she's connected to Harper.
D: Then why do you even talk to suspicious people?
L: I want to find out her plans and outsmart her. Tell me, answer one of my questions. Does the treasure in Di Flores Manor really break the curse?