Chapter 15: In the hospital wing

The Hazelford hospital was a small but cozy medical center located in the heart of the village. It had a warm and welcoming atmosphere, with brightly colored walls and comfortable chairs in the waiting room. The staff was friendly and attentive, always ready to offer a kind word or a reassuring smile.

I approached the hospital receptionist with an absolute courage. It's high time to get all answers directly from the victim.

"Excuse me, can I visit Ethan Cartwright?" I asked politely

"Do you have any relation to him?" the receptionist questioned.

"Well, not exactly," I answered. "But I was there on the night of the incident, and I would like to see how he's doing. You just can't forbid it! It's essential for me and the whole investigation."

"Sorry, but no. Only family members are allowed to visit patients."

"But I really want to make sure he's okay," I protested. "Can't you make an exception?"

"I'm sorry, but we can't," the receptionist said firmly.

I stood frozen in the hallway of the hospital as a familiar face passed by. It was the policeman I had been working with closely during the investigation! Mr. Alvarez, that was he.

An idea came to my mind. With a newfound resolve, I hastened my steps to catch up with him. As I approached, he turned his head slightly, acknowledging my presence with a nod.

"Mr. Alvarez," I called out, my voice laced with a mixture of anticipation and gratitude.

He paused and turned to face me, a slight furrow in his brow.

"Liandra," he replied, "What brought you here?"

I took a moment to collect my thoughts, eager to share any insights or observations that might aid in the investigation.

"I just wanted to see how Ethan is doing," I began, my voice tinged with genuine concern. "And I thought perhaps we could discuss the whole situation."

Detective Alvarez's gaze softened, his features relaxing ever so slightly.

"I appreciate your dedication, Liandra," he said, his voice carrying a hint of admiration. "We are making some headway, and your contributions have been invaluable. But do you really need this visit?"

"It's of high importance for me. Unfortunately, the receptionist doesn't want to let me in. I know you can have an impact on this. I will be grateful for this!"

Mr. Alvarez sighed, but it seemed that he took pity on me.

"Let her in," - said the policeman to the receptionist, "Let them talk. It's important for our case."

***
I pushed open the door to Ethan's room. The sterile scent of antiseptic greeted me as I stepped inside, the cool air washing over my face. The room was bathed in soft, muted light, casting gentle shadows across the pale walls.

Ethan, with his eyes closed, appeared peaceful, almost as if he was in a deep slumber. I pulled up a chair, positioning it next to his bed, allowing me to sit beside him. The guy was safe and sound as if nothing had happened a few days ago.

"Hello, my name's Liandra, but you can call me simply Lia. You're Ethan Cartwright, am I right?"

"Right. I've already heard of you. I'm so grateful that you wanted to defend me..." he seemed to be very reserved and calm - absolute opposite to me.

"Let's get down to business," - I interrupted him, "Tell me everything about your bullies. The more information you give me, the better."

"Well, they are not so clever guys, to be honest."

"Oh, I see..."

"Their names are Rob, Jack, Josh and Wayne. They're best friends and they all live in Hazelford. We're actually studying at the same school."

The mention of their names sparked a fire within me. Rob, Jack, Josh, and Wayne. Faces began to form in my mind, their identities soon to be etched into my memory.

"But now I feel a lot better. I haven't suffered that much. Thank you, Liandra," he whispered, gratitude resonating in his voice. "I've felt so alone in this, but now I know I have someone by my side."

"You're not alone anymore," I said, reaching out to squeeze Ethan's hand in a show of solidarity.

As we sat there, deep in conversation, a plan began to take shape in my mind. It was time to fight back.

I stepped out of the hospital, my mind swirled with a mix of emotions, the weight of recent events pressing heavily upon me. Anger burned within me.

The path back to the dormitory felt endless as I walked with purpose, my steps filled with a newfound resolve. No longer would I stand idly by while those heartless bullies went unpunished.

As I reached the dormitory, my mind was consumed by thoughts of vengeance, plotting every possible course of action. I knew I had to tread carefully, to devise a plan that would bring justice without compromising my own integrity. It was a delicate balance, but I was ready to take on the challenge.

Entering the dorm, I shut the door behind me, feeling the weight of determination settle upon my shoulders. Revenge may not be the noblest path, but in this moment, it felt like the only way to protect and stand up for my new friend. With every fiber of my being, I swore to make those bullies pay for their cruelty, and I would stop at nothing until justice was served.

He wasn't aware of my secret instrument of justice - Mia's diary which will definitely read everything I will ask for.

***
As I entered the dorm room, my mind still consumed by thoughts of revenge, I noticed Caroline sitting at her desk, a troubled expression on her face. Her eyes darted up as she saw me, a mix of guilt and concern etched across her features.

"Liandra," she called softly, her voice tinged with apprehension. "I need to talk to you."

Curiosity piqued, I approached her, my mind momentarily shifting away from my plans for revenge.

"What's the matter, Caroline?" I asked, my tone a mix of curiosity and concern.

Caroline took a deep breath, her eyes avoiding direct contact with mine.

"I... I accidentally looked inside your notebook," she confessed, her voice filled with remorse. "I'm really sorry, Lia."

My heart skipped a beat as her words sank in. I felt a mix of anger and vulnerability surge within me, but I managed to maintain my composure.

"What did you see?" I questioned, my voice steady but tinged with an undercurrent of worry.

"I can't understand why you look here that often - there's nothing to read at all. The pages are blank!" Caroline continued, her voice filled with genuine concern. "I didn't mean to invade your privacy, Liandra. I just wanted to ask you why you need it."

I quickly opened the diary - everything was there, nothing disappeared. In fact, the pages weren't blank.

"Oh, Caroline, I plan to write here something," I lied, "But hasn't decided still what exactly."

She forgot about this question soon while I was surprised as never before.

Caroline just couldn't see anything in the diary. It was intended for me... for a true diary keeper.