Chapter 24: Farewell untold

Well, my life is not only about magic. There should be also a place for ordinary things.

The photo contest was fast approaching, and I found myself immersed in thoughts of how to present my captured memories in a way that would truly captivate the judges. It had to be more than just a collection of random snapshots; it had to tell a story, my story... without revealing any secrets.

As I pondered this question, my eyes landed on a bookshelf in the corner of the room. The sight of worn, weathered books, filled with knowledge and tales of academia, sparked an idea. Dark academia, that's what I needed.

The allure of dark academia beckoned to me like a siren's call. It was more than just an aesthetic; it was a mood, a vibe that perfectly encapsulated the essence of the ordinary with a touch of mystery. The thought of blending the magic within me with the allure of the everyday through this style thrilled me to the core.

I knew that no matter the outcome, this album would forever hold a piece of my rebellious soul, a reminder that in the midst of magic, there was still room for the beauty of the everyday.

***
I agreed to meet Kaira at Silverglade Park next evening. That's a perfect place to carry a private conversation.

Here she goes - I hate this new classmate and don't pretend to be nice at her presence, but that is life and sometimes we have common stuff with the ones we detest.

"Hi, Lia," she greeted me, her voice carrying a note of amusement.

I spared no time for pleasantries.

"Let's omit the formalities and get down to business," I declared, my tone crisp and direct. "I have not much desire to interact with you."

To my surprise, Kaira laughed, a genuine burst of mirth that echoed through the park.

"Well, where shall we start?" I said emotionlessly.

"Ask everything," she desclared, "Everything you want to find out."

"There's too much too find out... Ok, I will try," I paused, "Why did you reveal me all that stuff?"

Kaira's eyes held a flicker of sadness as she spoke, her words resonating with a sense of duty and purpose.

"Liandra, we have a significant task - to return two girls into life. The name of the first is Mia Lancaster..."

Shock coursed through me like a lightning bolt, momentarily rendering me speechless. Mia Lancaster - the name echoed in my mind, unlocking a floodgate of memories.

"...and the name of the second one is Hazel Fowler."

Her words dropped like a bombshell. Hazel Fowler, forever confined to an unnamed grave, lost to time and forgotten.

"How... How do you know?" I stammered, my voice trembling with a mix of awe and apprehension, "Who gave you this task?"

"They will kill me if I tell you," she looked frightened, her voice stammered.

"Don't be afraid! They won't find out." I reassured her, attempting to quell her rising panic.

"They'll find out, believe me," fear danced in Kaira's eyes.

Determined to unravel the mysteries that had intertwined our fates, I pressed on, my voice steady but laced with curiosity.

"Ok, but Mia and Hazel are dead. The dead never return, do they?"

"We have to see their ghosts no matter what. They know information nobody else knows. Liandra, I am aware of the fact they are your relatives."

The revelation hit me with a force that sent my mind reeling. Mia, my distant relative, whose legacy whispered through the diary entries. But Hazel? She had been a name glowed upon an unnamed grave, a ghostly presence lurking in the forgotten corners of history.

"I know about Mia... But the only thing I have discovered about Hazel is her unnamed grave."

Silence settled between us, the weight of our shared mission heavy in the air. Finally, Kaira continued:

"Well, it's time for you to find out the truth."

***
"So, Hazel was the illegitimate half-sister of Amos and his brothers," she said.

"Amos had a sister?"

Kaira nodded solemnly, her eyes reflecting the sorrow that clung to the memory of Hazel's life.

"Yes, Hazel was born as a result of a love affair," she explained, her voice carrying a tinge of bitterness. "But Amos' mother decided to forgive it, despite the judgment of society. It was difficult for a woman to live without a husband in those times."

"Ahh, those old-fashioned rules..." I rolled my eyes.

"She also moved to the USA and Di Flores family lied everyone that she is just their acquaintance. Later, Hazel grew up and strange things started happenning," Kaira seemed so serious, "She was our blood."

I couldn't help but feel a surge of empathy for Hazel, who had carried the weight of her origins like an invisible burden.

"And people noticed her magic abilities," Kaira continued, her voice laced with a mix of sadness and frustration. "But instead of embracing her uniqueness, they shunned her, labeling her as a witch. It was a cruel fate for a young girl who never asked for the powers she possessed."

A pang of anger ignited within me, directed at those who had condemned Hazel simply because she was different. It was a stark reminder of the ignorance and prejudice that had plagued our history.

"And then," Kaira's voice quivered, "Hazel died unexpectedly at the age of seventeen while sleeping."

A heavy silence fell upon us, as if the weight of the injustice had settled around us like a suffocating fog. The thought of Hazel's lonely passing, without anyone by her side, without anyone to mourn her, pierced my heart.

"Nobody attended her funeral except her half-brothers," Kaira added, her voice filled with a mixture of sadness and indignation. "And the local government didn't even allow her name to be mentioned on her grave. She was denied the recognition she deserved even in death."

Tears welled up in my eyes, a mixture of sorrow and rage. How could such a tragedy be allowed to happen? How could a young girl, who carried the blood of my family, be cast aside and forgotten so callously?

"So, where do we start with our task?" I asked, feeling a mixture of curiosity and uncertainty.

A smile played upon Kaira's lips as she reached into her bag and pulled out a small envelope.

"I have been entrusted with the instructions to bring Mia and Hazel back," she revealed, her voice tinged with excitement. "And guess what? The diary that Hazel kept is crucial for this case."

My eyes widened in surprise.

"Hazel had a diary?" I exclaimed, my mind buzzing with possibilities.

Kaira nodded emphatically.

"I'll help you find it," I declared, my voice filled with determination, "It's also important for me."

As Kaira and I sat on a secluded bench in the park, the weight of the revelations she had shared with me settled heavily upon my heart. The story she unraveled about Hazel Fowler, the hidden truths that had been buried beneath a web of deception, stirred a mix of sadness, anger, and empathy within me.

The weather was bright and sunny, the sky was so light.

But my thoughts... They were dark.