Chapter 26: The phantom's confession

The single word hung in the air, filled with an otherworldly quality. My heart skipped a beat as I turned to Kaira, searching for confirmation that I wasn't imagining things.

Her eyes met mine, wide with astonishment. Fear gripped my heart, icy tendrils creeping through my veins. My mind struggled to comprehend the existence of this spectral apparition, a reminder of the thin line separating the living and the departed. The air seemed to crackle with an otherworldly energy, as if the boundary between our world and the realm of spirits had momentarily blurred.

"Did you hear that?" I whispered, my voice barely audible.

She nodded, her expression a mix of excitement and trepidation.

"Yes, I heard it too," she replied, her voice trembling slightly.

Oh, God, no... It was a mistake! I shouldn't have agreed to such terms! I should have refused! I...

We exchanged a glance, the realization sinking in that this encounter held a significance beyond our understanding. With cautious steps, we moved closer to the grave, our eyes scanning the surroundings, searching for any sign of who or what had spoken.

 With cautious steps, we moved closer to the grave, our eyes scanning the surroundings, searching for any sign of who or what had spoken

"Who's there?" I called out into the darkness.

But there was no immediate response, only the haunting silence that seemed to stretch on indefinitely. We waited, our senses heightened, hoping for another sign, another word to guide us.

As the minutes ticked by, the anticipation grew, but no further sound came. It was as if the momentary connection had been severed, leaving us with more questions than answers.

And then, amidst the haze, a figure began to materialize near Mia's grave. My breath caught in my throat as the ghostly form took shape. It was Mia, her ethereal presence growing more visible with each passing second. Her translucent figure shimmered with an otherworldly glow, casting an eerie light upon the surroundings.

"Don't be afraid, girls. It's me, Mia Lancaster."

***
Kaira's grip tightened on my arm, her eyes wide with a mixture of awe and terror. We stood there, rooted to the spot, our bodies trembling with a combination of fear and fascination. Mia's ghostly form hovered near the grave, her eyes fixed upon us with a haunting intensity.

"Come here, it's safe," Mia smiled.

She was so beautiful as in her portrait I had seen earlier. Her eyes were shimmering with a mix of melancholy and longing, her dress was long and purely white.

With cautious steps, we inched closer, our fear gradually giving way to a deep longing to understand.

"Hello," Kaira said, her voice carrying a certain ethereal quality.

"Hi," my fear was still intense.

"I've never talked to anyone in physical world for years. Thanks for summoning me," her smile filled with a warmth that eased my apprehension.

Summoning a ghost was one thing, but conversing with one was a whole different level of surreal. The questions swirled in my mind.

"How did you die?" I dared to ask.

Mia's smile faded, and her expression grew solemn, the weight of her words hanging in the air.

"I believe it's because of a curse. I was getting weak and, finally, passed away peacefully in my sleep."

We were at a loss for words. What do you ask a person who is no longer alive? It felt like an impossible situation, but Mia's gaze encouraged us to continue.

"So, what brought you here?" Mia asked.

And we told her everything.

***
Mia listened attentively, her ghostly presence a mix of empathy and understanding. Though we were conversing with the deceased, it felt strangely comforting. Here was someone who had experienced the boundaries between life and death, and yet, she had returned in spirit to guide us.

"What have you been doing all these years in the afterlife?" Kaira dared to ask.

"I live in my cozy house in a forest." Mia said in a quiet voice.

"Is it boring?" my question was pretty useless, admit it.

"Well, there's not much to do there, but the nature is beautiful, there a lot of books in my home library and I don't have any duties."

I just tried to imagine so-called ghost "life" among the trees, reading a book. It was curious and at the same time frightening.

"Are you alone here?" one more question from me, also useless.

"Not sure, but I haven't ever seen anybody. I've searched all the forest."

All these years. Absolutely alone.

"Ok, let's get down to business," Kaira got more courageous, "It's about Di Flores Manor."

Mia's face expression changed and now she looked more irritated than calm and reserved.

"Well..." the girl replied, "I had many memories connected with the mansion before my death, but too few of them were happy, unfortunately," then there was a brief pause, "I encountered loneliness and lack of understanding inside the house."

"I read your diary and know your sad story," I said sympathetically, "So sorry for that."

"It doesn't matter," Mia looked worried, "So, what do you need exactly?"

"I was told that Di Flores Manor holds a hidden treasure," Kaira explained, "And that we can destroy the curse of the mansion by destroying this treasure."

That was new information even for me - Kaira hadn't revealed it to me before. That revelation took me by surprise.

"I don't know if it's true, but I've heard it is located in the underground passages," Mia said, "Have you ever found them?"

"I've been there!" I exclaimed. "Unluckily, all the doors inside are locked..."

"...with the help of ancient magic," she added, "There is no other way to open it."

"All three rooms?"

"There are four actually. The fourth one is concealed, you can uncover it by playing a special melody on a piano."

"There isn't any piano there."

"There is. It's in one of the three rooms."

"Sounds like a quest."

"That actually is."

I took some time to think thoroughly.

"How did you learn the magic?" I asked.

"I was born a sorceress just like you, but talent means nothing without hard work," Mia told, "One day, I met a girl with the same abilities, we became friends and she taught me secretly."

That was incredible! The thought of clandestine magical lessons and a friendship forged in secrecy filled my heart with a mix of longing and determination.

"Our friendship was forbidden," she continued, "The girl was from a family that had lived in Di Flores Manor before my dad owned it. This family hated us and my father forbid me to talk to them, but I was so lonely in Ravenwood and Emberlynn was the only girl who wanted to become friends with me."

It was so sorrowfull. Being completely alone... A bittersweet expression crossed Mia's face as she recalled her past.

And then, her spectral form slowly dissipated, leaving us in the darkness once again. Kaira and I exchanged determined glances.

"Time is out," told Kaira, "We may talk to her the other night."