Chapter 55: Hues of violet

I wandered through Di Flores Manor at night, my eyes scanning for anything touched by the hues of violet. As I moved from room to room, each with its unique charm and a game of colours, I sensed a certain serenity in the midst of my quest.

But it was when I entered a room where the violet tones reigned supreme that I knew I had discovered Harper's sanctuary. The walls adorned with delicate paintings in various shades of lavender, the curtains cascading elegantly in violet tints, and even a bouquet of fresh violet hydrangeas on a polished wooden table. This room was a symphony of violet, a reflection of her essence.

I mostly paid attention to these hydrangeas. Their petals, once vibrant and alive, had now lost their luster. Withered and faded, the once-beautiful flowers seemed to mirror a story of time's passage and fading memories. These flowers, once full of life, had succumbed to the relentless march of time, much like the mysteries that surrounded Harper's past.

It's here. I know there must be something to find, to explore, to think about thoroughly. It just can't be that simple because Harper's life isn't simple itself as well as her identity.

As I continued to explore Harper's room, my eyes fell upon a hidden stack of old newspaper clippings tucked away within a drawer

As I continued to explore Harper's room, my eyes fell upon a hidden stack of old newspaper clippings tucked away within a drawer. Gently unfolding them, I started investigating them carefully until I saw this:

Unexplained Deaths of Several Former Classmates

That was an article with the details of what I had already known. Those bullies from Harper's past who had tormented her relentlessly finally met their ends. Their tragic deaths was discussed by the whole town. It was a chilling reminder of the darkness that seemed to surround her, and the fact that she had kept these articles as mementos was deeply unsettling.

It was as though I had stumbled upon a hidden aspect of her past that was far more sinister than I had ever imagined. My mind raced with questions, doubts, and a growing sense of dread. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was treading on dangerous ground, and that the secrets I was uncovering were leading me down a dark and treacherous path.

Harper didn't know what is to be loved and cared of. The society only taught her how to hate.

And then, once again, at that very moment, I heard the distant echo of someone's crying.

***
The next day was no less eventful. I had fallen asleep closer to dawn, and by the time I arrived at school, I could barely keep my eyes open. During classes, I merely pretended to listen to the teachers. A sense of apathy and laziness had taken over me. I had sincerely promised myself that as soon as all the lessons were over, I would catch up on some much-needed sleep and then attend to other matters.

However, all my "grand plans for the day" were disrupted by a single message on my phone. No, this time it wasn't from an anonymous user. It was from my mother.

Lia, my dear, the results of all your examinations from the mental hospital are ready. I'm coming to your dormitory; we have some things to discuss.

Just great, simply wonderful. If mom arrives in the dormitory, then it's getting really serious. She is usually too busy for such things.

Caroline and I sprang into action. We knew we had to tidy up the dorm room and hide Stormy before my mum arrived. With swift, coordinated movements, we cleared away any signs of clutter, making the room look presentable.

We finished just a few minutes before my mom arrived. Caroline went outside, leaving me alone with my mother and letting us to discuss important details without any witnesses.

"Hi, Lia!" She tried to sound friendly right from the doorstep.

"Hello, mom," I put on an innocent expression.

"I see you haven't burned down this dorm, my little one," my mother chuckled.

"I'm not little!"

"So, you're not denying the possibility of dorm arson?" she joked.

"Thanks for the idea, mom!"

Of course, it was all sarcasm, but this time, mom was being a bit too nice - I hadn't seen her like this in a while. It usually meant that some unpleasant news was about to follow.

"So, let's get down to business," she suddenly turned serious. I guess I was right...

"Is it really that serious?"

"Liandra, we're talking about your health here. We have the results of all your tests, and the strangest thing is that they're perfect. It seems like you're mentally healthy absolutely."

"Well, that's good, isn't it?"

"My dear, it only suggests that we might be looking in the wrong place. Just because the doctors didn't find any issues doesn't mean they're not there. Healthy people don't experience hallucinations."

"I'm fine, mom. Nothing unusual has happened to me lately."

But I could see how concerned she was. It's not very reassuring when your only child is suffering from a mental disorder that's impossible to identify. Maybe because it's not an illness at all, but something else, something your child will never tell you about. Because that child herself doesn't even know what's been happening to her for the past few months.

"I just want to ask, is everything alright with you, my dear? Maybe, some bad marks or difficulties with teachers? Quarrels with friends or boyfriends? Anything else?"

"No, mum. It's always alright," I lied.

Actually, I just wonder if it was related to what had happened to Mia and Hazel. They had both died suddenly from a mysterious illness, just like that. It was as if some dark forces were at play, lurking in the shadows, ready to claim their next victim.

What if I will be next? What if these hallucinations were a sign of something much darker, something that could ultimately lead to my demise?..

***
I spent some quality time with my mother, talking about various things, and she eventually headed home in the evening. She had many other duties also.

After she left, I gathered Caroline and Kaira together, eager to share the details of my conversation with my mother. They listened attentively as I recounted the discussion about my health and the mysterious hallucinations I'd been experiencing. Caroline looked concerned, and Kaira appeared thoughtful, as if she were processing the information. It was clear that whatever was happening to me had a supernatural or paranormal element to it.

"Kaira, I think we have to summon Emberlynn Everglenn. The more information we have, the better." I suggested.

"Are you sure you can handle one more ghost?" Caroline wondered.

"Isn't this commonplace for us?" I laughed sarcastically.

"OK, but I don't know how to summon her. It works a little differently than with Mia and Hazel. Yes, she could have told us a lot, but for now, it's impossible to communicate with her." Kaira just sighed.

I feel something is clearly going wrong. And no one knows why.