Chapter 41: It gets dangerous

Finally, Caroline Sinclair returned to the dormitory and didn't look like someone who had recently been ill at all. I know it's a complete lie, but I keep my lips sealed. We're all cunning in our own way.

Our relationship slowly started to mend. Caroline began to engage in small talk with me on general topics and didn't avoid me anymore. It seemed like she had come to terms with my friendship with Kaira.

However, there were still some lingering uncertainties in the air... and later, I realized why.

As I was alone in the dorm room, a moment of curiosity compelled me to explore Caroline's side of the room. My gaze fell upon her neatly arranged books, and as I perused them, something caught my eye. Among the pages of one of the books, nestled inconspicuously, were Mia's possessions-a delicate ring, a dainty necklace, and her beloved diary.

Shock surged through me, freezing me in place. How could Mia's lost belongings be among Caroline's books? A rush of questions flooded my mind, stirring a whirlwind of doubt and suspicion.

The ring shimmered with a sense of longing, the necklace carried the weight of untold stories, and the diary held the secrets and dreams that Mia had once confided within its pages. They were precious mementos.

How did Mia's belongings end up here, amidst Caroline's books? The thought of confronting Caroline with my findings weighed heavily on my mind. Would she offer an explanation that would dispel my doubts, or would her reaction further fuel my suspicions?

With Caroline absent, attending her extracurricular music lessons, I had time to contemplate my next course of action. It was a delicate matter, one that demanded careful handling.

On the one hand, I was happy that all the things were finally found. But on the other hand, this whole situation is getting even more vague.

As I carefully returned the ring, necklace, and diary to their hiding place, I realized one thing - we have to talk.

***
This evening was tense. My roommate returned after her music lesson, having no idea what she was going to hear. It was too difficult for me to begin.

"Caroline, I have something to tell you," my voice was calm yet stern.

And I admitted what I'd found - one of the most unpleasant moments of my teenage years. The tension was palpable, but there was an unspoken understanding that it was time to lay our cards on the table.

Caroline took a deep breath, her voice filled with a mix of apprehension and determination. "Liandra, I also have something important to tell you. I've been keeping a big secret."

I nodded, urging her to continue, my curiosity piqued. It was clear that this revelation had been weighing heavily on her.

Caroline hesitated for a moment before finally revealing the truth. "I was offered a temporary job, a rather unusual one, to gather mystical artifacts and items until the end of spring. But it comes with a price. I was given a mystical sign on my hand, a mark that serves as a warning. If I fail the task or betray the trust placed in me, I'll be met with dire consequences."

My eyes widened in surprise and concern. It was a revelation that surpassed any expectations I had. Mystical artifacts and a looming threat? I just thought of The Arcane Circle...

"Wait, do you know Grace Coleman and her office?" I asked rapidly.

"No, I was actually hired by Harper Clark and she didn't even mention any office."

"That's even more strange..."

Caroline continued, her voice filled with a mix of fear and determination. "I wanted to earn some money, but now I realize the gravity of the situation. I'm being threatened, Liandra."