Chapter 1: Dreams in the Dark

Vinnie's POV:

I woke up in an open space with trees all around me and the wind blowing hard. The leaves were falling from them and it seemed like they were dying. This was a new thing. I looked up at the night sky and sighed. It was always night when I had this dream. Stars littered the sky as far as the eye could see, twinkling. I smiled. It was peaceful in this place and that's something I loved about being here. It was an escape from reality and it was a place I could actually be happy. Animals would be all around, just grazing and running  around. Some of them would approach me so I could pet them. But this time, there were barely any animals in the clearing. Something was definitely wrong and I began to worry. I hoped he came soon so I could get answers. It was just a matter of time.

There was a crack of lightning that came down from the sky, scaring away the few animals and leaving me here alone with the strong winds. I sighed and stood up, dusting off the back of my jeans. He stood where the lightning had struck, staring at me. His face was illuminated by the lightning strikes and my eyes widened. It was the first time I'd seen how he looked and even if it was only for a few seconds, he was very attractive. He wore a serious face as he walked toward me. Thunder sounded from the sky and clouds covered up the stars. Everything was darker than before and I could barely make him out in the night. I frowned and glared at him. He shrugged and looked up. It was hard to tell, but I think he smiled. A few times a week, I had dreams like this... with him. I never learned his name, so I gave him a nickname instead. Light. It suited him.

"Such an extravagant  entrance." I said, slow clapping and rolling my eyes. He rolled his blue green eyes too and stopped in front of me. Even up close, I still couldn't make out Light's face. His hair was brown though... or black.

"If you would've been here last week, you would've seen different entrances. Now, where were you?"  He asked, wrapping his arms around my waist. Tingles danced on my skin when he slid his fingers underneath my shirt. I rubbed my chin, thinking of a lie I could tell.

"Maybe we don't always have dreams together, Light" I said. He chuckled and leaned down to my ear. My heartbeat sped up.

"I know when we do. I can feel it and you were awake. You've been avoiding me." He whispered. I pushed him away.

"I just... I had homework." My heart was pounding. How could I tell him? Light frowned and stepped toward me. I closed my eyes. "I just wish you were... real okay? I think over these past few months that I... I might..." I swallowed in the middle of my sentence and turned away. He sighed and I could hear him behind me. I opened my eyes just as I heard him say something.

"I-"

Loud banging came from my door and I jolted awake, sitting up. I rubbed my eyes and groaned. Light was so close to telling me something, but of course my dream gets interrupted. What was it!? I pulled my phone out from under my pillow and checked the time. Six fifty. My eyes widened as I realized my arm didn't go off. I only had ten minutes to get ready.

"Vinnie, mom say get your ass up." Ken said from behind my door. I glared at it.

I untangled my legs from my bed sheets and ran to my closet, sliding it open. I grabbed a dark green shirt with some denim shorts. I threw them on my bed and pulled open my dresser. I couldn't find any bras matching with my underwear so I just chose whatever and took a tank top with me. I ran my hands through hair and sighed. I sat on my bed, thinking about the dream as I put on my clothes. It was just that right? A dream. That boy wasn't actually out there and even if he was, he probably wouldn't date a girl like me. Well... maybe it was possible there was someone out there for me. Every passing period, I had the feeling that someone was watching me. Maybe it's my imagination but I swear there were some eyes like his in the hall.