Chapter 4: Cake and Apologies

It was ten thirty at night and I was stuck not being able to sleep. What had happened at school kept replaying in my mind and each time I remembered how J's cold hand caressed my check, my heart pinged. He had to be a vampire because of how cold he was, but that wasn't the only thing that had me wide awake. My craving for my mom's chocolate pudding cake made my stomach rumble and it wasn't going away no matter how much water I drank. It was the best cake I have ever had and I couldn't wait until my eighteenth birthday. Mom told me she would give me the recipe then and after that, it would go from generation to generation. It was worth waiting for, but I had no patience for this. I would have Francine analyze it and find out the ingredients yet, I've been told that was going overboard and crazy. I ran my hand over my face and got out of bed. I was going for the cake. 

I stretched my limbs and tied my hair into a better bun before tiptoeing to the door. As I carefully opened it, I peeked my head through the small crack and looked at my parents' door. It was closed, but the lights were off. I slipped out of my room and snuck past their room, making my way downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and counted to three before opening up the refrigerator slowly. I cringed at the velcro-like sound it made and paused for a second, checking if anyone was coming downstairs. I sighed a breath of relief and bent down to search for my objective. I found it on the bottom shelf behind the salad and a pan covered in saran wrap. A smirk formed on my face as I placed the salad on the top shelf and slowly slid the pan to the side. As I grabbed the cake container, I noticed the whipped cream leaning against it. It began to fall as I moved the cake and my hand quickly reached for it. I knew mom placed it precariously so it would crash against the bars of the shelf, alerting mom and dad that I was trying to get another piece of cake. I shook my head and put the can upright before taking the cake out. 

I placed it on the counter and took off the top. The scent of chocolate hit my nose and my mouth began to water. Finally, it was going to be mine. I picked up the smallest piece of cake and bit into it. My eyes rolled to the back of my head as the cold, moist chocolate touched my taste buds. I silently moaned and went in for another bite as someone tapped my shoulder. I whipped around with wide eyes only to see my thirteen year old brother standing there with an eyebrow raised. With my eyes narrowed, I moved away from the cake and let Ken get his piece. He stared at it in awe for a bit before taking the biggest slice and stuffing almost half into his mouth. He groaned and nodded, taking several bites. I nudged his shoulder softly and smiled. Ken smiled back and I moved to put the top back on the container when he grabbed my arm to stop me. The top skittered out of my hand and fell into the sink with loud clanging. I gasped and grabbed it, popping it back into place and putting the cake back in the fridge in the position it was in before. With the salad bowl in front of it again, I glared at Ken as we both hurried upstairs as quickly as we could without making noise. The greedy bastard probably got us found out.

As I got to my room, I could see that the light in my parents' room had turned on. I cursed and ran back to my room, closing the door. I jumped into bed and assumed my position underneath my covers. I knew mom or dad would come check on me . I closed my eyes as I heard my door open and feigned sleep until I heard the door close again. I waited a few seconds before removing the cover and sighed. That was a close call. I sat up and fixed my tank top, seeing that I got some chocolate on it. I rubbed it away at the same time that I heard a clink at my window. I lifted my head and paused for a bit to see if I was just imagining it. Our tree in the backyard was starting to grow a lot more so maybe one of the longer branches was scratching against my window. I would have to tell dad about this in the morning if that was the case.

There was another clink and one louder than the previous. It definitely wasn't the tree. I threw off my covers and hurried to the window. Everyone would hear this if it kept continuing and it wouldn't be good for me or the other person, whoever they were. I opened my window and a pebble hit my forehead, making me recoil. I bit my lip to keep from crying out and rubbed at the spot. I heard a small "shit" and I looked back outside. To my surprise it was Aimme standing there. Why was she here and how did she know where I lived? I moved the curtains away and frowned at her. She waved at me before signaling that I should move back. She was going to come in?! I let out a whine and moved away from it as she climbed the tree and leapt toward my window ledge. I turned back to my door and decided to lock it. When I turned back to my window, Aimme was inside pushing her bangs out of her eyes. I didn't notice it before, but her hair was a very weird shade of blond. It was close to white and seemed to glow yellow. This wasn't the time to worry about her hair though. She had no reason to be here unless Carly sent her and if that was the case, I made a grave mistake by letting her in.