Chapter 26: More than Friends?

Ashley's POV:

I invited my friend Nick Williams over for a sleepover. I told Alex he was gay so he could sleep over. We have been friends for a few years so I knew him well. I know that Nick got his blonde hair from his mom and his green eyes from his dad. But he got those nice abs by himself. What? I saw them once. It's not like we're friends with benefits. He just likes sleeping without a shirt. After I found out that... Duncan was my mate, I stopped talking with Nick and inviting him over.

I invited him over because I kept having dreams about Duncan. Bad dreams. I would try to hold his hand but he would pull away and run down the street. I would try to run after him but he would be gone by the time I got to him. Then I would fall into a black hole while he stared at me like he was disgusted by me. It was freaking everybody out. I met some new friends over the week too. They help me get through the hard times.

Nick walked in my room with the bowl of popcorn. We were going watch our favorite movie, Resident Evil: Afterlife. We've watched it like a thousand times but I always get scared. Nick sat down next to me and put the bowl of popcorn in between us.

"You better save me from these zombies." Nick said. I laughed.

"If there was a zombie, I'd actually came I would probably leave you here." I relied. He put his hand up to his heart. I smirked. Drama queen.

I fell asleep when the movie was almost to the middle. I dreamed about the boys I've met over the week. I love them all. As brothers only though. I dreamed about Nick but before I could think about him, I felt someone shake me. I woke up and wiped the drool off my mouth.

"Oh. Sorry, I fell asleep." I looked at Nick who was frowning.

"I think I should go now." Nick put on his shoes and stood up.

"Why? What's wrong?" He didn't answer. He kept walking towards the door. I was getting tired of this. Nick picked up his bag and grabbed the doorknob. I took a deep breath.

"Nicholas Ethan Williams!" I called and he finally stopped. I walked over to Nick. He sighed and leaned against my door.

"What is going on?"

Nick turned his face to me. It softened up but then anger came rolling off him in waves. Nick stopped leaning on the door and took a step towards me. I took a step back.

"I've been your best friend for like twelve years! I'm tired of being in the friend zone!" He yelled.

"Just because I've been your friend for twelve years doesn't mean I have to have sex with you." I scoffed and crossed my arms angrily. Nick put his bag down.

"I don't mean that. I want to be more than friends because... I love you Ashley. Isn't that enough?" I had nothing to say. I was in shock. He loved me. Me. I don't know whu

"I...I..." I trailed off looking down at my feet.

"Exactly. You don't love me back. I'm leaving."

"Fine! Leave. Get out!" He slammed the door behind him.

I slid down the door. I was in tears now. Nick is my best friend but... I just can't be in a relationship right now. My heart stopped for a second realizing what I had just done. I love him. I really do. However, Nick's not my mate though. When we touch I don't feel tingles. I listened to myself and got off the floor. I fixed my hair and wiped my tears. I opened the door and ran downstairs. I saw Nick opening the front door.

"Nick, wait." He turned around and put his bag down.
"I need to tell you something.

"I get it. You don't love me. Don't rub it in." He rolled his eyes.

"I love you. I know we're not mates or anything but I love you b-but just give me time. I just got my heart ripped out of my chest by my own mate. Just be patient okay?" I stared into his eyes.

"Alright. I'll be patient." I smiled at him as he picked me up and carried me to my room. On the way I saw Alex carrying Francine like a child. He saw us and stopped. Francine turned around and looked at us.

"Hey Ashley and Nick." She smirked at us.

"Francine." I said.

"Is Nick your mate?" Alex asked.

"No but I love him."

"Ashley you know -" Before Alex could finish Francine whispered something in his ear. Alex's eyes widened and he accidentally hit Francine's head.

"Ow!" Francine yelled and slid down a little lower on Alex.

"I'll see you guys in the morning." Alex walked down the hall to his room. Nick and I stared at Alex as he walked into his room and closed the door. I chuckled got off of Nick. We walked back to my room and I sat back down on the bed.

"Now let's finish the movie." Nick smiled as climbed next to me.

"As long as you don't scream." I grinned.

"That goes for you too." I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever."

* * *

We walked into my room and watched the rest of the movie. Nick kept jumping and knocking the popcorn over. I sighed and paused the movie. He looked over at me. I smiled politely.

"Do you want me to put in Barney?" I laughed. Nick got me started on the barney jokes. He glared at me.

"No. I'm just trying to get comfortable." Nick lied.

"Yeah right."

I leaned on his shoulder but he jumped again and I ended up in his lap. Face first. Can you say embarrassing? I sat up quickly and felt my face start to burn. My face was probably red as hell because of what just happened. I covered my eyes and shook my head. I uncovered them and glared at Nick who had stood up. He was covering his pants. I groaned and sighed.

"See! This is your fault. You jumped and I... I" I was too embarrassed to talk about it.

"Sorry. You shouldn't have been trying to put your head on my shoulder." Nick shrugged. I turned away and crossed my arms.

"Let's just watch the movie." I mumbled. Nick sat back down with a pillow in his lap and a few inches away from me. This was going to be awkward.