Chapter 6: It's You?

Aimme's POV:

It was finally done. Carly and I were no longer friends and of course one should be happy to part ways with a toxic person like that. I thought I would be and in a way, the weight on my shoulders seemed lighter. However, it had become harder to breath by the second no matter how many times I tried to gain control. I grabbed my inhaler and used it, but nothing changed. My chest was in pain and there was nothing I could do. Uneasiness and panic swirled around in my stomach, growing more and more. Was this a panic attack?

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on something yet it still wasn't working. Stepping off my bed, I again tried to calm myself down as the apprehension grew faster than before. Whatever my subconscious was dreading had finally happened and it was painful. Something in my heart snapped and I gasped, falling to the floor. My room blurred in front of my eyes as my body became engulfed in intense pain. I screamed and collapsed onto my bedroom floor. I clutched the area above my heart and kept trying to breathe. I'd thought I'd felt pain worse than this, but I was wrong. My shaky hands roamed over the carpet in search of my phone as another wave of pain hit me and forced whimpers out of my mouth. I dialed Sam's number and waited for him to answer. Maybe he was hurt. He had to be.

I pressed the phone to my ear urgently and waited as pain took over. My inner vampire growled and whined in pain. I needed to see if he was okay. After I left Vinnie's on Friday, the heaviness expanded throughout my body and now it was at an all-time high. I thought it was because my "parents" were here when I arrived, but I should've known it wasn't going to be the cause of my distress. It was because of Sam. There was no other explanation. I gasped and fisted my hands in my hair, arching my back off the carpet. It wouldn't stop. Maybe this was a punishment. For abandoning Carly when I knew she was trying to change even if it wasn't obvious. I'm the only one who knows what kind of person she is deep down. An unstable and insecure girl. My best friend.

"Hello? Aimee!?" Sean called out. I fell limp and unclenched my hands before picking up the phone.

"S... Sam. Are you okay?" I whispered.

"Yeah I'm fine, but what's going on!? Are you okay?" He asked. Tears welled up in my eyes and I understood what I knew all along. He lied to me.

"How long have you known?" I questioned. He was quiet. I couldn't even hear him breathing. "Don't play dumb with me! How long have you known you're not my mate?" I choked on another scream and had to bite my lip to stop it

"I... I've known since I met you. You were just so beautiful and my own mate had rejected me so I just had a witch-"

I hung up and curled myself into a ball. My real mate was in trouble and I couldn't give them any help because I had no idea who they were. I must've met them before because if I hadn't, the pain wouldn't be so intense. Someone must've been blocking the connection. Maybe it was Sam because of the witch he mentioned. I whimpered again. My brain crashed into the sides of my skull like waves colliding with jagged rocks on the beach. The pain wasn't real though. It was an illusion because of the mate bond. The pain felt real, but a hour later it would die down and I would only be left with a dull ache in my heart. Damn it! A tear ran down the side of my face and I closed my eyes. The only person capable of doing this was a witch or a warlock and there weren't many at school. Emily and her brother were the only ones I knew.

My phone rang but I didn't answer it. I couldn't answer the phone right now! This person was persistent though. My phone rang five times before I answered it. It was Carly. Even though I ended our friendship, I needed her more than ever. Maybe she could help me out. I slid the answer button across the screen and put it to my ear.

"He-"

"Aimme? I'm sorry to bother you this late but we found Carly under her balcony. It seemed she jumped and tried to commit suicide. We're on our way to the hospital in an ambulance right now and it seems she'll be okay but... they're still unclear. I just thought I should let you know. You can drop by soon." Carly's mother spoke in such a calm tone that it was hard to wrap my brain around what she was saying seriously. I started to say something but they were muted by the ambulance sirens which blared in the background. I widened my eyes once I realized what Carly had done.