Chapter 13: A New Life

Vinnie's POV:

Jake called me before school and told me he would come pick me up. I quickly took a shower and hurriedly got dressed in my skinny jeans with my favorite flower shirt. I found my scuffed up converses and slipped them on. I was excited to see him again. Since Jake was still getting ready, I decided to eat some cereal while I waited for him. I got the Lucky Charms down off the fridge.

Just when I finished my cereal, Jake texted me he was driving down my street. I panicked and ran into the living room, putting my backpack on the couch as I ran upstairs to brush my teeth since I noticed I had cereal in them. I rinsed with mouthwash after brushing them. I sighed and smiled. I looked good.

The doorbell rang and I ran downstairs. I grabbed my backpack off the couch and walked to the door slowly but not too slow. My hands were sweaty, I had a hard time twisting the doorknob but I finally got it. Jake was wearing a tight navy blue shirt that showed off his abs with plain jeans. Even in casual clothes he's so attractive. Damn his sexy body. Jake looked up and smiled at me.

"Hey." I smiled shyly. Why couldn't I say something better?

"Hey. Uh... we should get going." He said nervously.

I locked the door behind me and followed him to his car. I have to say, Jake's car is way better than mine. He opened the door for me, then he got into the car. As Jake drove away from my house he started to drum his fingers on the steering wheel. I knew something big was on his mind. It must be important too. As I opened my mouth to say something, Jake sighed.

"Vinnie, um... um I have to tell you something. He looked at me for a minute. I nodded for him to continue.
"Well... I have to change you into a vampire soon." His words startled me by surprise.

"What? Why so soon?" He didn't answer.
"What happens if you don't change me? W-Will my feelings for you and your feelings for me stay the same?" I bit my lip, scared to know the answer. Jake stopped drumming his fingers and looked over at me. His worry filled eyes were covered by his brown bangs.

"Well, yeah. I'll have to find another mate. And your feelings for me will stay just like a boyfriend you've loved, but you won't feel tingles when I touch you. So do you want me to change you or will I have to find another mate?" He chuckled softly but when I didn't laugh, he stopped.

This was too much information for me to process. I didn't think about being changed into a vampire. How was I supposed to think about this? I groaned internally. Well what happened yesterday was still on my mind so I guess that's some of the reason. I ran my hands through my hair. I took a deep breath.

"I... I don't know. You have to give me some time to think." I whispered.

"You have only three days." Jake stated quickly. My eyes widened.

"Three days!? But it's only Monday!"

"I know but I'm supposed to start searching for another by Wednesday."

As soon as he parked in the school lot, I was out. I didn't look back as I ran inside of the school. I searched for the nearest bathroom and ran inside. Don't get me wrong, I didn't run out of his car because he was pressuring me. I ran out because I love him and don't want to lose him. Ever since I was about eight years old. Yes. I knew Jake when I was in 3rd grade. He must not remember me. I did look different and people did call me by a different name. I didn't know why. My name is the easiest name to say. I didn't see Jake ever again in third grade. He moved away.

Even though we were only in third grade, we dated for a bit. He even gave me a small ring. I smiled at the memories as my vision blurred. I pulled my hair away from my neck. I always kept it with me on a chain around my neck because it had gotten too small for me to wear. I missed him so much when he moved. I became so depressed. Jake only wrote for a bit before he stopped. He must've gotten a new girlfriend. That's what I thought at the time. He... he took my first kiss.

My tears dripped down onto the sink and I wiped them away. The door suddenly opened and I ran into a stall, locking the door. I heard a pair of footsteps. I bent down to look under the door. All I saw was a pair of pink converses and a small pink ankle bracelet on her leg. I got up before she searched the stalls and saw my face.

"I'm stupid. I've lost my best friend and Emily is nothing but a follower. I need Aimme. I need her." I heard someone say. I couldn't make out the girl's voice but it sounded familiar. She sniffled.
"I hate you Carly! Your nothing but a selfish bitch and I hate you so fucking much! You messed up. You lost the girl you..." She broke into sobs.

Right then I knew exactly who it was. Carly. I opened the lock of the stall door and opened it slowly. The door let out a squeak and I cursed internally. Damn these hinges. I really wish they would fix them already. I lifted my head and Carly was already staring at the stall. I took in her appearance and raised my eyebrows. The white of her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were all wet from tears. Her usual brown hair with blonde highlights was actual back to brown entirely and was in a messy bun. To top off my surprise, Carly wasn't wearing a beautiful dress or an expensive outfit.

No.

She was wearing a white jacket over a pink tank top and... sweatpants!? I'd never seen Carly wear something so plain. She even had on pink converse sneakers! Her arm was in a cast and there was a bandage on her forehead. There was something definitely wrong with her, but at the same time I wasn't sure why I should care. After her constant bullying, a part of me was happy to see her suffering. However, I still sympathized with her.

She wiped her cheeks and pulled out a brush from her sweatpants. She brushed her hair and braided it up quickly, putting on her hood. After she finished, she stared at me and frowned. She still looked good in her grey sweatpants that she had bunched up around her ankles. I could make out Aimme's name on the bracelet wrapped around her left one. She crossed her arms and frowned.

"What do you want, Vinnie?" She sniffled. I knew right now all she needed was a hug. I walked out of the stall and hugged her. "No! Stop! I don't want your hug!" She struggled, trying to push me away although I could feel her relaxing. I just hugged her tighter.

"It's okay. It's okay." I whispered, trying to soothe her. She started to mumble something but, it was cut off more crying. 

Eventually, she stopped fighting and hugged me back. I knew she was hurting. Especially her heart. She lost her best friend. I rubbed her back. I knew that Aimme was basically her only friend. I couldn't even imagine what it would feel like to lose my friends. Losing my mate would be even worse. I didn't want that to happen. I knew what I had to do. I had to tell Jake I wanted him to change me.

Right after I finished comforting Carly.