Chapter 9: The Perfect Gift

Vinnie's POV:

After the party last night, my mind has been a complete wreck. I had to wake up earlier than everyone in the house to get the blood out of my shortalls and pour the hydrogen peroxide on it. The wait before I blotted the stain took most of the time before everyone woke up. There was no way that mom would believe for a second it was because of my period. I threw it into the washing machine with some other clothes to avoid suspicion. Being up early was already a sign that something was wrong because I was not a morning person. I found myself being clumsier than usual which led to me putting my leggings on backwards and spilling milk as I poured myself some cereal. I was a mess before I even left the house! I couldn't even focus on playing when my piano instructor, Mrs. Eldritch, handed me the sheet music. After many bad plays, she told me to just play what I felt in my heart. If this kept up, mom and dad would definitely find out that I went to that party after they specifically told me not to. Either way, I'd probably be spacing out like I am now because I kept thinking of Jake. I didn't deserve him and I'm sure he knew this too. What makes it worse, is that we kissed. It was too soon for a kiss!

After he kissed me at the party, my friends finally came over and I found out Alex and Francine were mates. I knew they would probably end up together since they seemed to understand each other better than others. Despite Francine's insecurities, I had confidence that they'd make it. Because there were many things I didn't know about mates, Jake led me off to a quieter place and we spent the rest of the night talking about everything. We had a long talk about what should happen next. He even told me that he knew before, but wasn't sure how to tell me. It was as though we were only talking for twenty minutes, but soon it was one and I had to go back home before I was found out. He put me on his back and used his super speed to get there and now he even knows where I live! I groaned and switched up the tempo of the music. I ran a hand through my hair as my other continued to press the keys. 

 I blew a strand of my hair out of my face and let out a small whine as I remembered last night. Jake... The thought of seeing him again caused a shiver to go down my spine and my heart rate to spike. I closed my eyes and tried to convey what I was feeling through the melody of my song. His eyes were so vibrant. Blue with light green around his pupils. My heart began hammering in my chest and I shook my head. I ended the song quickly and sat there, staring at the vase that sat atop of it.

Clapping sounded behind me and I lurched around. Mrs. Eldritch stood there, smiling at me. She seemed to be in awe and I came back to reality. In the past, I never met her eyes because I was scared of what type of judgment I'd see, but I didn't care at the moment. Now that I looked at her clearly, I realized her brownish red eyes were similar to Justin's, although his were ruby red. I guess it makes sense because Mrs. Eldritch was his father's sister and that's where his fire powers came from.

"Vinnie, that was beautiful!" Mrs. Eldritch exclaimed. Again, I blinked out of the daze and focused on her. I really needed to stop doing that.

"Um... thank you." I smiled and rubbed my hands. Her smile slowly fell and she closed the distance between us.

"Are you alright? You seem... a bit distracted today." She placed her hand on my shoulder and I sighed.

"I'm sorry... I just... have a lot of things I'm thinking about now and it's... all so new." I swallowed. She nodded.

"Hmm, maybe it would be best if you went home early." She gave me a smile as I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

"You won't tell my mom about this?" I bit my lip in worry. Mrs. Eldritch just chuckled.

"I won't. Vinnie, you're an amazing student already. I'm not sure why your mother insists on me giving you lessons. Just tell Justin and his mate, Isabella I believe, that I said hello." She patted my shoulder as I stood up. I nodded even though I was utterly confused. Isabella was Danny's first name. Her and... Justin were mates? When did this happen and why wasn't I told about it?