Chapter 8: Reassuring Promises

(Mentioned her in Chapter 2 as a friend of Vinnie's and Ashley's)
Francine's POV:

The song Sweater Weather began playing over the speakers and I groaned, taking another swig of root beer from my cup. Not too long ago, I loved this song but at this moment, it couldn't be any more awkward. I was forced to go to this party because Ashley wanted to go but didn't want her brother Alex the only one with her. She was in the same grade as us despite being a year younger, but made up for it by acting like a total bitch sometimes. I sighed and glared at Ashley as she rolled her eyes at my obvious distaste, but continued to scope out the place for someone who could be her mate. I told her that I didn't want to come if Alex was going and yet here he is standing next to me and showing me cat videos. I mean I'm enjoying them but his presence was distracting. With his blond hair and... beautiful light brown eyes. I loved his eyes and he probably knew that by the smug smile tugging at the corner of his perfect... soft lips. He knew he attracted a lot of girls' attention and he always had to act like a dick about it. I turned away from him and headed back to the snack table. I poured myself some blood instead since I was getting a bit irritable and didn't want to snap at anyone. I could see Alex looking in my direction and I groaned internally.

These mate parties happened our senior year for each high school since we were almost eighteen and always happened on a full moon at midnight as it started to set. They said the moon helped bring out the mate bonds laying dormant but that could've been a myth. As I walked back to Alex I saw him perk up like a puppy and couldn't stop my smile. If I found my mate at this party, I didn't want him to be here. He wasn't my mate and it was a fact because there were no tingles when we touched and there's no pull towards him. Alex is one of my closest friends too, and I wouldn't want to hurt him if something ever happened between us. Ashley knew I had a crush on him and maybe that explains it but she promised to never tell. She was good on her word, however, that didn't mean she wouldn't pull something to bring us closer together and I had a feeling she did this on purpose.

I stared at Ashley for a while, narrowing my eyes slightly. She seemed to be in deep thought about something so I took this opportunity to study her face, trying to think about what she was so focused on. Maybe about this party. A lame one at that. Hell, the child's birthday parties I've been to have been better than this. She's probably thinking "This party's lame, oh my god. I hope I don't sweat in this stupid frilly dress I wore because I'm a princess." I rolled my eyes as Alex started laughing next to me. I widened my eyes and elbowed him in his side, forgetting he could read minds. Ashley narrowed her eyes at us but went back to surveying. 

I don't even know why I bothered to put my hair into a neat ponytail and put on this black jumper with sunflowers for this. A few weeks ago, I wouldn't go near makeup with a ten foot pole. But now, my hair's dyed black and I wear eyeliner sometimes. Vin and everyone else kept wondering why I changed my hair and my clothes and I couldn't tell them it was because of Alex. A girl at school had said Alex liked girls who had black hair and since I have natural dirty blonde hair, I thought it was worth a try. I thought back then when I liked Alex, I could get his attention. Wrong. Alex hates this look but, I couldn't change back though. I didn't want him to think it was because he didn't like it.

"This is stupid, can we leave now?" I huffed. Ashley blinked and it seemed like she returned to earth. She glared at me, but I only looked at my nails.

"We've only been here for twenty minutes! You have to give it time. I'm sure... the party will..." I raised an eyebrow. "... it will get better! At midnight which is in four minutes. Then you'll see if your mate is here Francine." Ashley smiled at me. I only scoffed but couldn't stop my face from heating up. Alex frowned.

"Shut up." I mumbled, crossing my arms.

"Come on Alex, tell her how fun it is. You might even meet your mate." She winked at him. He visually stiffened and his eyes widened. I cocked my head and looked at him, waiting to hear his response.