Chapter 10: Bittersweet

Vinnie's POV:

Danny said she wasn't going to come until later since she had to study, but that didn't stop me from going to the mall anyway to wait. I had twenty dollars on me and felt like having a soft pretzel. When I was on my way down the escalator, I saw Jake and his sisters entering the mall. I couldn't let him see me or else I would be around him all day and I... I couldn't handle that right now. I went back up the escalator and tried my best not to run into Jake. I hid behind anything whenever I saw him coming my way. Trash cans, advertisements, boxes, even people! I scared the crap out of an old woman and almost gave her a heart attack. She hit me with her purse which really hurt. There must've been a brick in there or maybe I'm just weak. My arm is still throbbing. Danny should've been here already, but she wasn't and I don't want to leave then she shows up. Then again, I don't want to stay and she never shows up. But, I guess Jake can't stay here forever.

As I turned around, Jake was walking out of a store with his head in the air. Goddamn it, he's everywhere. He must smell me. He could smell me much better than I could smell him which put me at a disadvantage. I sat down on a bench and grabbed a newspaper, covering my face. I peeked over the side and saw him standing with his hands in his jacket pockets, taking deep breaths. This wasn't going to be good for me. I needed space from him after finding out about being mates. I had to think about everything. It was only Sunday after all. The posts on Facebook from Alexandra and Alexandria even said that they were here. With Jake! Because... it's their birthday! I didn't even know that. There's so much that I don't know about him and that's why I'm not sure if I could be mate material.

I went back behind the newspaper as he looked my way. I looked back over the edge of it. Jake had turned back around and was walking in another direction. I put the newspaper down and ran into the nearest store. It was a clothes store that smelled like cheap perfume. Perfect place to hide. As I navigated my way to the back, I caught sight of a breathtaking necklace. It had a small silver pendant on it that was in the shape of a heart. In the middle of the necklace was a small letter J that seemed to glow blue against my skin as I picked it up. I wanted to buy it, but once I saw the price tag I let it go. It would be nice to get for myself once Jake and I became more serious, yet that was far in the future and it surely wouldn't be here tomorrow. I sighed.

The scent of strawberries filled the air and I groaned quietly before hurrying over to a rack of hats. I tied my hair into a bun with the black hair tie I had around my left wrist and grabbed a large straw hat. I put it on and zipped my jacket up so it covered more up my face. I probably looked ridiculous but it was the only way he wouldn't notice me. If I was turned away from him, I think he would still be able to recognize me though. I shouldn't have come in here.

I picked up some black sunglasses and slipped them on. I looked into the mirror and nodded at my cheap disguise. This should do it. As I turned around, Jake was standing in front of the necklace I was looking at. My whole body froze and something in the back of my mind urged me to go to him. With him so close, I couldn't hear anything else. Not the beeps of an item going over the scanner. Not the crying of a child that wanted ice cream. Oh wait, maybe I was. I was aware of the pounding of my heart though and how I kept taking deep breaths so I wouldn't forget his smell. Jake was a sweet guy. He only seemed bitter and closed off, but I hoped he would let me get to know him. That part of him made me want to grow closer.

A small smile tugged on my lips as my heart calmed. Jake moved his head towards my direction and sniffed. His eyes met mine and I swallowed as his eyes held a bit of recognition. They kept changing from black to his original. Can he tell? Jake sniffed again and frowned, but it seemed forced. I walked over to him confidently and crossed my arms in front of me. He tilted his head slightly, some of his black hair tumbled into his eyes and I withheld the urge to move it away. I loved his eyes. The same blue green as the ones in my dream. He cleared his throat and I flinched. His lips twitched.