Deus ex Machina

'Luck?!'

Your head snapped towards the entry of the building, your heart starting to race as you recognized the voice. You released the tension on the chain, almost dropping the knife from unstraining your arm and body. As if they noticed the new intruders, waves of worms left their resting spots and frantically flew around.

You inhaled and went to yell at Vash, but as you opened your mouth to do so, a worm flew right in.

'Sshhhh, now. I know the red one can hear you.' You jumped a little as the deviant child whispered right next to you. When had they made it there?

But you didn't care anymore, a brand-new fire burning in you, fuelled by hope and rage. You bit hard on the worm inside your mouth, almost chocking on its gelatinous acidic-tasting guts. Spitting the rest of it out, still twitching, you filled your lungs with air and yelled as loud as you could.

'Vash!'

Your voice was so raspy and hoarse it almost didn't sound like yours. Nonetheless, it worked and Vash called back at you as gunfire was heard at the entry of the building that was now swarmed with worms again.

'Awww,' the kid commented with disappointment, as you turned around just in time to see their creepy mask crawl back unto their face. 'That wasn't very nice, was it?'

'Luck?!'

Both you and the kid going by Zazie the Beast noticed Vash's calls getting closer and closer.

'Well, it's time to say bye-bye,' exclaimed the kid as they backed-up and went to tug on the chain to force you backward, further into the building.

However, before they even got the chance to, a bullet hit the chain exactly at its weakest spot, at the slim intersections of two blades, shattering the link. Your head snapped to the left, from where the bullet at come and you spotted Vash almost a hundred yards away, gun in hand.

At his sight, adrenaline flooded your body and with new-found strength you pushed yourself unto your feet and ran, stumbling as you felt extremely light-headed. You vision was starting to slowly tunnel-down, but even as it did, you clearly saw the red-coated criminal run towards you.

'Ah, no that won't do!' you heard the voice of the one called Zazie right behind you, a loud buzzing getting closer and closer. You swore internally, you weren't running fast enough and your legs wouldn't listen to your orders to accelerate; you were going to get caught again.

'Ghosty! Duck!' yelled the priest from somewhere deeper inside the factory.

Not asking questions or hesitating, you did as you got told. Just as you bent forwards, trying to keep steady while running, you heard the whistling of several bullets soar where you had stood an instant before.

You didn't spare a look behind, a swarm of worms seeming to spawn right on your heels, their aggressive buzzing growing louder and louder as more seemed to join them.

You wanted to accelerate, outrun these godforsaken bugs but simply putting a foot in front of the other exhausted you beyond your limits, and you were starting to sway at every stride. Your breathing was shallow and limited as the remnant of the chain dug into you at every inhale, stopping your body from getting the oxygen it needed. As you were twenty or so yards from Vash, your vision had gotten completely dark and the ringing in your ears covered almost all others sounds.

'Wolfwood!' you faintly heard Vash yell from somewhere close in front of you.

'On it!'

Someone grabbed your shoulders, stopping you sharply in your momentum and forcing you to dive to the ground. You braced yourself for the pain of falling directly on the bladed chain, however only your knees hit the ground; your upper body being held from making contact with the ground from your shoulders.