Something in the Water

Knives was wounded? Was that even possible?

You glanced in the same direction he was still starring. What had that Eye thought? Why do this? Was he planning on running away? He must know there were never any defectors that lived to tell the tale.

You were pulled out of your thoughts when you were harshly pulled forward as Knives took a step behind. Inhaling sharply, you braced yourself against him, before silently asking him for an explanation with a frown.

When he didn't make eye contact, instead glaring at something behind you before loudly speaking out, you turned to find a massive red nail deeply imbedded in the metallic grid where you had been.

'Elendria- Stand down.'

'Knives!' the relieved voice of a small girl rose from beyond the smoke. 'Let me-'

'Don't make me repeat myself.'

Knives tone left no room for arguing. And you took the silence that followed as compliance from the girl.

However, him speaking seemed to have inadvertly given the defective Eye the cue to start firing in your direction.

'Fucking die, you fucking monster!'

Knives' blades reacted much faster this time, having already retreated closer to him, they created a screen over where the Eye was heard. You flinched as the bullets made contact with the glimmering blades, sending sparks at every shot. There weren't enough blades to fully block the ongoing shower of bullets, but Knives skillfully directed them over at every singular projectile.

When the firing died down, you noted the number of blades had significantly lowered. Tearing your eyes from the remaining ones still floating, you saw that Knives' expression seemed strained, tense with something more than rage and focus.

You heard the defector swear and quickly retreat back into the curtain of smoke. As the figure disappeared, Knives let out a ragged exhale by your side, bringing your attention back to him.

Something what clearly wrong, and yet, you didn't have a chance to ask the platinum-haired man what it was because he dropped down to one knee, dragging you down with him as he refused to let go of his tight grip on your arms.

The metallic clangs of the remaining floating blades falling unto the platform's grid resonated to your side, increasing your panic as your eyes set unto the full extend of Knives' injuries on his left side. His burned suit revealed charred and blacked flesh with pulsating and bleeding muscles and flesh underneath all over his left shoulder blade, the damage reached so deep, you swore you could see the outline of bloodied bones.

'Oh fuck..' you swore under your breath, eyes widening at the sight.

Any normal human would have been unconscious by now, let alone fighting and keeping their composure. But then again, any human would have never survived the impact of a grenade going off so close to them.

Still, even if Knives wasn't human, he was still flesh and bones and seeing him bleed for the first time in your life had your hands shaking and mind blank at what to do.

You tried to look at him, search his eyes for some answer or instruction to guide you or reassure you, however his eyes were tightly shut and his strained face was angled downward as he seemed to concentrated on his breathing or, maybe even on simply staying conscious.

You gulped and drew blood as you bit too hard on your inner lip as you considered your options. There was one thing you could do, but would Knives even allow you to do it?

Shifting on your knees to better position yourself in front of him, you raised your trembling hands and placed them over his tensed biceps. Your touch seemed to incite him to raise his gaze at you, and you couldn't help but clench your teeth when you saw the way his crystal blue eyes were glazed-over and struggled to focus on you.