Part 9: Almost a kiss

Lily's POV: [Two weeks later]

As Diana has been busy these days, we haven't seen each other since then.

Also, I've been looking for a part-time job near my house so that I could have my own income and I don't like to stay with my toxic family 24/7 because it's suffocating.
In addition, my dad's financial status is apprehensive right now because he also supports my sister and her daughter.

~

[12:30 PM]

I returned home from a job interview and walked straight to my room after saying a simple hi to my family...
Crawling into my bed, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialled Diana's number.

After a few beeps, she answered, "Hey, Lil. What's up?"

"Hi~... Can you talk now?..." I asked shyly.

-"Sure, I was resting a bit... "

+"Em~... I'm actually nervous right now, so I need someone to talk~"

-"I'm all ears, Lily."

+"I haven't told you, but I had a job interview this morning, and this is my last hope since all the places before had rejected me in these two weeks~..."

-"You wanna work?"

+"Yeah~... I~... I need to be out of home~ and also~... need money~..."

-"..."

+"Diane?"

-"Can you come here?..."

+"What? Why?"

-"We should not discuss this topic on the call."

+"But, aren't you busy?"

-"Just come here, bye."

Diana hung up the phone, and I rushed to my closet to change my clothes hurriedly and headed to her house excitedly.

I miss her...

~

[13:10]

I arrived at her door and rang the bell nervously. Diana opened the door in a minute, "Come on in"...
I stepped inside while peeking at her place and asked, "Isn't Faith here today?"

Diana walked to the kitchen, "Nah, she got some work to do... Come here, I ordered pizza with Cola."

We sat next to each other, started to eat our pizza, and then Diana said, "So you're planning to work?"

I nodded, "Yes."

-"What about your studies? Don't you wanna go back to school?"

As she mentioned, I understood what had gotten into her when she asked me to come here.

I replied awkwardly, "I do intend to continue, but not now~"

-"Why?"

+"I don't have the confidence~"

She stopped eating and glared at me, "Lily‌,what do you wanna do in the future?..."

After hearing her serious question, I anxiously placed the slice of my pizza on the plate and muttered, "I don't know~... I've had a dream once~... however~... I'm not sure anymore~..."

She raised an eyebrow and said, "So you don't have any plans or goals for your life?..."

My heart started to beat faster, and my hands were sweating out of stress, avoiding Diana's gaze. " I'm~... I was~... you know~... I had a hard time so~... I don't know what to say... I'm sorry~..."