Chapter 30: Nightmare or Trauma?

Diana's POV:

[2 Months later.][2:08 A.M.]

"Aaaaaagh!"

.

.

I snapped my eyes open as I heard Lily's panicked scream once again. I sat straight on the bed and pulled her body into my embrace while Lily was panting and trembling in fear again.
I nuzzled her hair with one hand and patted her back with the other one. "It's alright... I'm here..."

She tugged at my shirt as her breathing was coming back to normal. "D-Diane..."

I let out a sigh and hummed, "Hmm?..."

As if she was afraid, Lily remained in my arms without saying anything. So I asked in concern, "Lily, do you want to see a therapist?"

She flinched back and stared at me with her scared eyes, "W-What?!..."

I held her shoulders and looked at her. "You've been like this for almost two months..."

She averted her gaze worriedly. "I'm... f-fine!"

I tightened my grip, frustrated. "No! You're not!!! You've had nightmares and panic attacks almost every night since those things happened!"

"It's just... Nightmares!!!... Everyone has them!" Lily snapped at me as she pulled my hands down.

"Stop being stubborn! You're definitely not okay!" I groaned.

She glared at me and asked as her lips trembled. "Do you... t-think... I'm crazy like my family does?... Is that what bothers you?"

"That's not what I meant! I don't want to see you suffering like this." I replied as I got out of the bed, irritated.

She let out a sob as she clenched her fists. "Just... Say... You're also tired... of me... Because your expression shows that!"

I stared at her in disbelief, furrowing my eyebrows. "You!..." I let out a huff and dragged my hand over my face. "Forget it. I don't want to argue with you anymore!"

I left the bedroom and got a painkiller from the kitchen cabinet since my head hurt so badly. My throat muscles tensed as I swallowed the pill with cold water. I zoned out as I stared off into space.

~

I was tired...

But not tired of her...

I was tired of the situation that we had been stuck in...

After Ashley left and Lily returned home from Faith's house in the end, I was assured that we would be alright from now on. However, I underestimated the imprint that was left on Lily's soul.

There are times when something bad happens, and it's difficult to grasp how traumatic that experience can be at first. Since your mind will be in a state of shock or survival mode, the damage won't be apparent.
In the same way that if you break your leg, you will not feel the pain for a few minutes due to adrenaline running through your body.
As the adrenaline wears off, you will start to realize the severity of the situation, and the pain will start to set in.

That's when you'll know how broken your leg is...
You'll get how much it hurts...

Imagine what it might be like if you've already broken one of your legs, and you're unable to walk with both broken...

The same goes for Lily as well...

Lily was a broken soul already, and she had experienced many traumatic things in her life.

When you suppress your feelings or when you still haven't healed your past wounds...

It only takes one unfortunate thing to push you over the edge of endurance...
Making you lose yourself completely...