part 17: God's Gift

Diana's POV:

[21:35]

Lily stared at me with a hurtful expression and then said, "I've already bothered you enough. I don't want to become a burden to you more than this..."

+"You're not a bother, Lily. And I don't think you have any other options right now, so just stay here."

As Lily dropped her head silently, I realized I said something stupid again.
I sighed and kneeled down in front of her feet, then held her face in my hands while I was incredibly nervous about what I was going to say, but I wanted to let her know about my feelings.
"Listen, I really like you, Lily~ and I don't want you to get hurt~... So, you don't have to worry about these silly things and consider my home yours, okay? We can just live together."

Her eyes widened in response to what I said, and she smiled as she spoke. "Thank you for comforting me and saving me every time I got into trouble~... I'll stay here until I can find a place to rent or something~..."

I wondered at that moment as I remained silent, "Eh?~... Did she just ignore my confession?!..."

Lily added with tearful eyes, "Also~ I apologize for what I said today~ I know you wanted to protect me~... I'm really lucky to have a friend like you~"
She paused a second and then continued after letting out a breath, "And for the last night's matter~... I know you made a drunken mistake~ and lied because you didn't want us to get uncomfortable with each other~... So it's fine."

As she talked, I felt my heart sink into sadness more and more... I got up and gritted my teeth in frustration, then replied calmly, "Thanks for your understanding! I'm glad we're fine now, even though I'd also like to apologize for what I've done these two days... It won't happen again."

I reached the doorway and turned off the lights. "Get some sleep... I still have work to do."

~

After closing the bedroom door on her, I walked to my office, lit a cigarette, and sat there in my chair.
"I see now... You really want us to stay as friends... I guess I made a mistake..." I thought as I took a deep drag of the cigarette and exhaled a long trail of smoke, pondering my situation.

Maybe I shouldn't have acted impulsively...
I should've waited longer to find the right time to confess...
It wasn't a good idea to say something like that, especially when she wasn't in her right mind...

I muttered, annoyed, "I always calculate things to not embarrass myself... Why did I rush about this one? I guess I lost my mind after meeting her~... "

I finished my cigarette and tossed it in the ashtray. Then suddenly a thought came to my mind, "Don't tell me she likes that red-haired guy?!... Which explains why she was so mad at me!!!~..."

My jaw dropped out of shock, thinking it actually made sense!"That son of a~..."

~

[22:15]

...'Knock'... 'knock'...

As I heard the knock on my door, I opened it and found Lily standing there, trembling. "What's wrong?" I asked with a puzzled face.

She slowly grasped my hand and mumbled, "I~... Can't sleep... It's too dark and scary to be alone, and... When I close my eyes, I keep remembering the things that... My parents did..."

+"You can let the lights on if you want... I can sleep in the living room. If that's what you're asking..."

-"Hug me!!!... Until I fall asleep!!!..." She said flusteredly...