Part 26: Breakdown ⚠️

Trigger warning: ⚠️ Sensitive topic, hate speech...
.
.
.

Lily's POV:

I stared at Diana, waiting for her answer as she just stared at me with her deep black eyes, showing signs of tiredness.

"I told you that I had moved on." She muttered finally, frustrated.

Then, I placed my hands over her hands while she still held my face. "Are you annoyed with me because I keep asking you these questions?"

She leaned over and gave me a peck on my lips, ignoring my question. "Sleep..."

Pulling her hands back, she walked back to the kitchen and put the plastic pack of peas back into the refrigerator. In despondency, my heart sank as far as it could...

Diana turned off the lights except one of them in the kitchen and took out her lighter with a cigarette.

I lay down on the couch and pulled over the blanket on my body as I glanced at Diana standing in the kitchen, lighting her cigarette. I watched her smoke, her fit body illuminated by the fading light of the halogen lamp in the kitchen.
I felt a wave of emotion wash over me, a combination of sadness and a longing for her presence.

What if she gets tired of me because I'm too emotional?...

What if Ashley causes us to break up?...

I rolled over to the other side, facing the wall as I tried to cry quietly without her noticing. I was scared of losing her...

I could hear Diana's footsteps getting closer as the scent of tobacco tingled my nose. She sat down on the floor near the edge of the couch as I stayed still, not turning around.
Then she nuzzled my hair and said, "Don't cry... You know it breaks my heart."

I flinched at her touch, longing for it....

I wanted her to embrace me...

I wanted her affection...

So badly...

Diana rested her other hand on top of my shoulder and kissed my nape gently. I shivered as her lips lingered on my skin.
I finally turned around and looked at her; love was back in her eyes.
I slipped down from the couch and snuggled myself into her arms as I sat on her lap.

"Diane..."

"Hm?" She hummed as she wrapped her arms around my body.

"Don't ever leave me, hm?... I promise I'll behave better... I have no one but y-you..." I said anxiously.

Diana's eyes pierced my soul as she remained silent; it took her a few seconds to respond.
She then replied calmly. "I'm not gonna leave you, Lily. Why do you keep–"

She paused and sighed. "I'm sorry... It's my fault that you feel this way..."

"I'm the one who should be sorry for acting like a child all the time..." I said as I buried my face in her shoulder.

"It's alright. Everything is going to be alright. I'll fix it..."
Diana rubbed my back, trying to calm me down.

I closed my eyes while I was still crying until I drifted off to sleep in her embrace...

I want to believe what you just said...

~

Diana's POV:

After Lily fell asleep, I lifted her up and put her on the couch. I then walked onto the balcony and lit another cigarette. I leaned against the railing, taking in the view of the night sky. I sighed, feeling a mixture of exhaustion and sadness.