Never Have I Ever

Summer Pups

Chapter 5:

Never Have I Ever

Monday June 8, 2020

6:05 pm

[Zuma's POV]

Many of the pups think that I only do swimming or diving just because I was forced to. But to be honest, I wasn't. In fact, I wanted it to be my future. When I was a little pup, my dad took me on one of his diving runs in the middle of the ocean. I was literally begging for him to take me with him in the water but he said I was still growing and I wasn't ready for the big open water yet. But he promised me that once I'm grown enough, then he'll let me dive with him. Since I'm becoming a freshman, I hope he can reconsider taking me diving with him again. I remember when I became so fascinated with the water. In third grade, I decided to join the swim team. I was learning how to swim around that same time as well. I was really hoping that someday, I would be determined as "best pup swimmer." The only thing that kind of held me back during the swim team was the starter gun. No one actually told me that it was just blanks, so for the entire time, I was just paranoid, I put on my goggles and just stayed underwater. As I was underwater, I couldn't help but look around. Everything was so beautiful. The nice blue water I was swimming under with the right temperature. Even though I sucked as a swimmer, I was really great with my diving. Now that may sound a bit good, but I don't think it's normal to know how to hold your breath underwater before actually swimming. During the swim competitions, I would either come up third or fourth place. I was unhappy with the placements all the time, but my dad was always there to reassure me.

Today for our first day of having fun together, the pups decided to come over to my house and have fun in the pool that's in the backyard. What's cool about it is that my backyard was spacious and the pool was actually pretty big to where we can play marco polo in it. Sometimes, we would have competitions to see who could hold their breath the longest and as usual, I would win them.

All of us were having fun. Rubble was relaxing, Skye and Marshall were sitting on the edge and Rocky was sitting on the grass reading a book. I couldn't blame him. I honestly felt sorry for him. Everyone should be out swimming and having fun with their friends in the water, not afraid of it. I wanted to cheer him out. I picked up a water gun that was floating in the water and fired it at Rocky.

Rocky: "Agh! Wh-What?! Zuma!"

We all laughed and Rocky laughed with us a few seconds later. I guess as long as he's not underwater, I guess he won't mind getting sprayed a few.

Rocky: "Oh, I'll get you back somehow!"

Zuma: "Haha! Sure dude!"

I turned around and leaned against the wall. I looked at the pups again. Then I got confused. I saw Rubble, I saw Skye and Marshall and Rocky is on the grass, but where's Chase and Everest? I was going to ask the pups until I saw Marshall get dragged underwater out of nowhere.