Frozen

Summer Pups

Chapter 8:

Frozen

Friday June 12, 2020

11:31 am

[Chase's POV]

I had a hard time trying to follow Everest and Skye since they were practically running around the museum to get to the chick hatchery exhibit. When we made it, there were a few other dogs and pups around. Everest wasted no time and ran straight to the glass to watch. I wondered what was up with her obsession with baby chicks. I went up with her. I looked at her and I could see small tears in her eyes but she was smiling at the same time. Was she crying with tears of joy?

Chase: "Everest?"

She suddenly grabbed onto me but was still looking at the chickens.

Everest: "Oh my goodness, look! Look at them! Look at how cute they are! C-Can we keep them?!"

I was looking around and I saw a few dogs looking at us. I was feeling a bit embarrassed. I just wish they all just stopped looking and kept walking. Have they never seen anyone get excited over baby chicks before? I saw Skye out of the corner of my eye and saw her snickering a bit. She's enjoying this. But I couldn't help but feel pretty warm when Everest was hugging me.

Everest: "Please Chase? P-Please can we keep them?"

Chase: "Uhm...We-Well..."

She was looking at me with sad eyes but she wasn't smiling anymore. Was she being serious? She is. I didn't know how to tell her that we can't actually take one home with us. I could probably try asking an employee if we could take one home. I'm not sure if they do, but maybe the museum would let us take one. I mean, where do they go when they're fully grown? Just to some farm? I looked at Everest in the eyes and smiled.

Chase: "W-We can try asking someone and hopefully they say yes."

I could see a little smile on her face but it wasn't enough. She wanted a yes or no, not a damn "maybe."

Everest: "O-Okay.."

She looked back at the glass but she was quiet now. I don't know why or how, but I feel like a jerk. I looked over to Skye, who was looking at a few small frogs. Since she's mates with Marshall, maybe I could ask her a few tips on how I can be a better mate for Everest. I walked over towards her.