12

Jesse

Lennox and her whole family were gone for almost an entire day. They had a family trip they took every year and Keith invited me to come along but I didn't want to intrude in their family time. Especially with the whole Cameron thing, she needed to be surrounded by the ones that loved her unconditionally. I said I could use the alone time to work on my last school assignments, even though I haven't had any left. What I did do that day was first trying to search for Lennox's Instagram account for a few hours, without any luck. Then I searched for asshole Cameron Salss. He was that typical jock type, with selfies in the gym showing of his muscles. With his arm curled around a skinny blond or brunette. Him trying to get endorsements while he promoted their shakes or whatever. I don't know what he did for a living, but it seemed like his only interests were girls and the gym. Closing down the Instagram app, I decided to go for another run on the beach. It was getting easier. I manage to get further every day. I know I would never be able to win from Lennox or Jake, but I did think it would be good for my condition and for the game. Maybe I should try to plan this in as a work-out with the team.

When I came out of the shower and headed back down to grab some fruit, I heard laughter. I glanced out the window and saw Lennox, Bryn, Jake and Keith on the beach. Two goals planted on each side. And the moment my eyes fell on Lennox, I was mesmerised. The way she handled the ball, her movements quick and graceful. She could go pro. I was sure of it. She easily passed Bryn or Jake before kicking the ball in the goal. I jumped a little when Eline appeared next to me, looking out too.

"She's amazing, isn't she?"

"Yeah." I breathed. "She is. Why isn't she on the Cambridge team?"

Eline leaned against the windowsill, her face sad. "She can't train with a team or go pro. She always wanted to, she loves the game so much. But in her last year of high school, she tore a ligament. She tried to play and train again but it was too hard. She was in too much pain afterwards."

I couldn't imagine what she had gone through. I think I would fall apart if I could never play football again. I looked back outside and just witnessed how she slipped past Jake so fluently; he fell headfirst in the sand. I chuckled.

"Lennox has been through a lot in her young life." Eline said. "Losing their mother so young, having only two friends, not that she minded that much but still... Then the whole Cameron thing and then the injury. It just doesn't seem to stop for her. And she deserves so much better."

"You know about Cameron?"

"My niece went to the same school. She showed me the photograph. They don't know that I know." She looked at me. "I can see how much you care about her, Jesse. And she is a strong, independent, intelligent young woman. We know she doesn't let many people in. So, please be careful with her. I imagine there is still so much to figure out about her. Even things Bryn or Jake don't know about." She patted my shoulder before she opened the window a little. "Dinner is ready!"

Lennox

I loved the game with my family but now I was paying the price. I was soaking in the tub, rubbing my hand up and down my leg trying to ease the pain. I miss playing football without being in pain for days after. I missed the thrill of the game, the adrenaline. I just missed playing on the field. When the water finally turned cold after refilling it for a second time, I tried to climb out. But pain shot through my leg. I screamed and fell back down, my head hitting the edge of the tub. My head was drowsy, and I felt a bit nauseous.

"Shit!" I heard someone curse. I was being lifted from the tub gently. "Lennox, love. Stay with me." It was Jesse. He pushed the hair out of my face, and I blinked up at him. His was blurry in front of me. "Can you tell me where you are?"