4

Jesse

When Lennox was called up the stage, I couldn't take my eyes off her. When she was presented as the first one to be auctioned off, I couldn't help but bid on her. I couldn't openly bid on her, that would spark up rumours neither of us wanted. So, I used my handler. Kevin Grant. After the auction ended, I wanted to go up to her, but Lily had found me again. And had glued herself to my side. So, I had to watch that actor Chris Mates go up to her. Flirt with her. I could even see it from afar. Fucking bastard. I almost growled when he handed her his phone and kissed her hand. It couldn't mean anything other than him asking her out on a real date. After that I saw her around Wyatt's arm. I hadn't even seen him in the room until then. But then I saw him clearly. I saw how he steered Lennox out of the room. That was the last time I saw her that night.

Later that night when I lay in bed with Lily sleeping next to me, I picked up my phone. I re-read her message. The one I hadn't answered. But still she smiled when she saw me. I just started typing.

Jesse
I'm sorry I never answered your text. I was a bit frozen in shock to see your name pop up. But I should have answered.

Lennox 💙
It's okay, really. I would probably have reacted the same.

I knew that wasn't true. Lennox would have answered no matter what.

Jesse
It was good seeing you again. I can't believe it's been five years.

Lennox 💙
Yeah... a lot has changed in five years.

I looked over to Lily who was sleeping with her back towards me. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

Lennox 💙
Speaking off... I should let you go. It's late and your fiancé would probably like a quiet night with you. Good night, Jess.

I didn't want to stop the conversation. I wanted to talk to her. I wanted to call her to hear her voice. Lily was miffed after I said I wasn't in the mood. She had scowled and pouted until she went to bed. Ignoring me completely.

Jesse
I still want to talk to you. Like you said before, try to be friends again.

Lennox 💙
I don't think that's a smart idea. I thought it was possible but now... after seeing you again. I think we just need to leave the past in the past. We'll probably see each other again for the time I'm here, but we need to keep it professional.

Jesse
I don't want to lose you again, Lennox

I waited twenty minutes before figuring out she wasn't going to answer my last text. I wasn't going to push her, at least not now. I still won the bid to take her out next Saturday even though she didn't know it was me. I had a week of planning, but for tonight I wanted to do something else. I slipped out of bed and walked to my office. I picked up the book she had written when we were together and read all night.

"What's going on with you?" Lily asked a few days after the charity auction. We were just having a quiet breakfast. At least I was. Lily had a glass of water and two small melon slices. "You've been acting weird for days. You send me to pick the flowers for our wedding alone. You won't have sex with me. And you've been locked up in your office even more."

"Honey." I held back a sigh. "We've been to the flower shop six times. And you always pick the same ones. You don't need me there just so you can veto on everything I say. And it's been four days, I'm just busy with work. I'm tired. I'm just happy to fall asleep at night when I'm finally done with work."