3

Jesse

Five years, four months and three days. That's how long it had been since I saw her. But there she was. She was on the other side of the room, talking on her phone. Of course, I would see her at a charity event to help save the planet. We're still talking about Lennox Watson. My knees felt weak, and my hands were clammy as I took her in. I didn't know it was possible, but she looked even more beautiful than five years ago. Her hair was longer, stopping on her shoulder blades. She had curled it for tonight. She wore a navy-blue gown that reached the floor. When she moved a little, I saw a split in the dress that stopped high on her thigh. Her chest was covered but the dress was cut very low at the back. She smiled at something on the phone, and I swear my heart stopped for a few seconds just from seeing that smile again. Then she turned around and her eyes found mine. We froze on the spot for a moment, just gazing at each other. She said something on her phone before putting it away. Then she smiled at me, big and wide. It wouldn't surprise me if you could see my heart beating against my chest like in a cartoon. I smiled back at her and without realising it, I started moving towards her.

She was still smiling as I made my way through the crowd. Before I thought the better of it, I wrapped my arms around her and lifted her from the ground in a tight hug. Her little surprised gasp did something to me. Something I didn't want to think about what it could mean. Her arms curled around my neck.

"Hi, Jess." She whispered in the crook of my neck.

"Say that again."

"You're not going to kiss me, are you?" She teased.

I put her back on the ground. She was grinning up at me. I did want to kiss her. And that was something I shouldn't even be thinking about. I had a fiancé for fuck's sake.

"You look beautiful."

"I still feel jetlagged. I'm a mess."

"No." I shook my head. "I stand by my statement." I smiled and she flushed a little. "When did you arrive and from where?"

"I got back a week ago from the states." She sighed a little. "Not really a fan but sometimes it is out of my control of where I go. And I've been unpacking for -"

She stopped talking suddenly and I wanted to ask more but Lily stepped up next to me. She looked between me and Lennox with raised brow. That's when I noticed we were standing really close. When I took a step back, something flickered in Lennox's eyes.

"Hello, I'm Lily Ortez." She held out her hand. "And you are?"

They shook hands. "Lennox Watson."

"What do you do, Lennox?"

"I'm an author. You?"

"A socialite. And -" She showed off her engagement ring and I froze. "Busy planning the perfect wedding for me and my fiancé. The hottest ex-football player in existence." She kissed me.

Lennox took Lily in, her smile vanished completely. "Oh." She whispered. She glanced around the room for a second before locking her eyes back with mine. "Then I should leave you two lovebirds alone." She offered a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes. It barely curled her mouth. My heart ached.

But Lily seemed happy about that. "That would be much appreciated."

"Right." She looked down for a second. "Uhm, have a goodnight." And she walked away from us. From me. And it was like I was transported back in time to the moment she left at the airport.

I couldn't lose her again like that. I made that mistake once and I won't be doing that again. I don't think I would be able to do it again.