10

Jesse

The day after the wedding, I was sitting on the couch strolling through Instagram when I saw a post from Bryn. It was him, Liam, Jake and Lennox on their wedding day. The caption simply said: Nothing but love for them. When I double clicked on the photo to like it, I noticed the tags. I wasn't surprised to see Liam and Jake's tag, but I was a bit shocked when a name hovered over Lennox. L. Watson. I never tapped so fast on my phone in my life. L. Watson's page was private but from the profile picture I could see it was Lennox. She had a personal Instagram account that I didn't know about. That nobody ever told me about. I clicked on the request button before I could second guess myself.

"Why aren't you dressed?"

I looked up from my phone to Lily. She had her hand on her hips as she scowled at me. "What?" I blinked confused.

"Why aren't you dressed? The baker is going to be here in fifteen minutes!"

Baker? Oh, shit! The baker. He was coming over with cake samples for the wedding. I totally forgot about that. I jumped up from the couch in a hurry. Ignored Lily's fuming face and went to get dressed. Just as I pulled my head through a shirt, my phone buzzed. I grabbed it instantly. But it wasn't Lennox that called or accepted the request, it was Charlie.

"Charlie?" I frowned picking up. He wasn't the type of guy who would call me in the weekend if we didn't have plans.

"Hey, Jesse. Not too drunk from yesterday I hope?"

"No, I'm fine. I had barely had anything to drink. Lily on the other hand..."

He grunted. "I hope she didn't ruin the night. Or the wedding."

Charlie was the only one of my closest friends that was 'friends' with her. Actually, friend is probably an over overstatement. I never really thought much about my friends not being friends with her. She had her friends, I had mine. But with Lennox being back, it had changed. Because she was loved by everyone and fitted in everywhere she went.

I glanced out the bedroom door, but she wasn't anywhere close. "She passed out before she could."

"Thank fuck for that."

"Yeah." I sat down on the bed and ran a hand through my hair. "Was that why you called?"

"No." He said and was silent for a beat. "Actually, I called –" The doorbell rang.

"Sorry, the baker is here with the cake samples."

"Oh, I'll just let you be then. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Alright. It's not something urgent, is it?" I asked as I made my way to the front door.

"No, no. Nothing like that. I'll uhm – I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow." I hung up but I felt a little off by the conversation. Why would Charlie call me on a Sunday afternoon? Different kinds of scenarios drifted through my mind. From the wedding to Lily to work. But the most frightening part was that it was possible it had something to do with Lennox.

I tried not to think about Lennox and Charlie and focused my attention on Lily and the wedding preparations. But I couldn't help but glance at my phone every ten minutes or so, hoping I would see a certain notification.

Late that night when Lily was asleep next to me, I was keeping my distracted brain busy with some brain puzzles. I'd been doing them for two hours now and my mind still hadn't slowed down. I was thinking about going for a run when my phone buzzed. I finished my puzzle first before picking it up, already given up that Lennox would accept my request. But I was wrong. She had accepted it and now everything was visible for me to see. Hundreds and hundreds of photos filled my screen.