24

Lennox

Honestly, I didn't know where we stood after that night. After he almost told me he lov- I couldn't even go there. But we crossed the line last night, and I didn't know it was possible to go back. Now we were showering together in the large hotel room shower. He was lathering me up with soap, slow and sensual. But then his movements stopped, and he tilted my chin up.

"Was it Graham?" He growled.

Shit, the make-up must have washed off. I didn't even think about it as Jesse hands distracted me from everything but him. "It's nothing."

"This is not nothing." He said, rubbing a thumb slowly over my sensitive neck. "He touched you."

"He was angry." I whispered, trying to hide my tears with the water of the shower. I didn't work. He wiped the tears away with another finger.

"What did he do?" He asked. And I noticed he was trying to keep his voice calm. "Please. Tell me."

I took in a deep breath. "Since I use a pseudonym to write, he didn't know I was the writer. When he met with me, he completely lost it. He – he pushed me against the wall, his fingers closed around my throat."

"What else?" He asked softly but I could feel him tremble in anger. "He threatened me. He said he would come back if I didn't drop the charges. That he knew who I was now, that he'll be able to find me."

He took in a few steadying breaths before kissing me softly, then kissing the bruises on my neck. "Do you trust me?"

"With my life." I whispered back. I could see a small smile curl on his lips.

"We need to postpone your breakfast with Riley. We need to do something first."

"Alright." I said as he turned off the shower. I had a feeling what he wanted to do. I had debating it myself but didn't think it would be worth it. He took the largest fluffiest towel from the rack and covered me with it. His hands running over the towel to dry every part of me. He was so gentle and sweet that I almost reconsidered the girlfriend part. I was irrevocable in love with him. But I couldn't say it, like I couldn't hear the words from his lips. So, I did the next best thing. I took his head slowly in my hands and kissed him slow and passionate. I love you. I love you. I love you. I chanted in my head. "Thank you." I whispered against his lips.

"Never thank me, love. Not for something like this." He said as quietly as me. "Why don't you get dressed. I'll call Riley for you and explain."

I handed him my phone without another thought and kissed him once more before I slipped back in the bedroom. Just seeing the bed again brought me back to the night we spend together. A night that was even better than I ever imagined. I opened the closet and found my reflection in the closet door mirror. The bruises were harsh and had a dark purple colour. I forgot how tightly he held me against the wall, how his fingers closed off my airway. I had forgotten everything the moment Jesse appeared in front of me. I took in a deep breath and told myself: I can do this! Before I got dressed.

Forty minutes later, I was squeezing Jesse's hand so tightly I thought I might break it. Here we were standing in front of the police office for the past fifteen minutes. Jesse was waiting patiently with me until I found the courage to step inside.

"You can do this, baby. Just take all the time you need." He kissed my temple.

"Can you kiss me?" I asked.

"You never have to ask." He breathed before he lowered his mouth to mine.

I hummed against his lips. "Now I'm ready."