27

Jesse

I felt guilty not going to the hospital, but anger and pain stopped me from going. It stopped me from texting and calling her back. I still couldn't believe that she would cheat on me. It wasn't really cheating since we weren't actually together. And she said more than once that we're free to hook up. But I told her I wanted to be exclusive. Maybe this was her way of pushing me away, of letting me know she didn't feel the same way. Bryn and Jake didn't ask me anything since they didn't know what happened or knew about the surgery.

I wasn't in class today. I would never be able to focus, so I was at home with Jake. I was constantly checking my phone even though I wouldn't get any more texts from her. I saw how the clock struck nine. The hour the surgery was planned. The hours ticked by so slowly, it almost felt like it was going backwards.

Four hours after the surgery started, I got a call from Amara. Just at the time Jake's phone went off. "Amara?" I asked as I picked up. She had never called me before.

"Jess." Her voice was off. "I don't know what is going on between you and Lennox, but I'm in the hospital. There were complications."

I stopped breathing. And it felt like an ice bucket was thrown over my body. "Is she -"

"She's alive but she lost a lot of blood. She's in an induced coma." It was like the story of her mother was happening to me now. "I don't care what happened between you two, but you should come. She would want you here."

"I doubt it." I huffed, even though I was desperate to see her. Desperate to make sure she was okay.

"I talked to her before the surgery, Jesse. Whatever happened between you had a big effect on her, she wasn't herself. And when I mentioned you -"

"Yeah?" I swallowed.

"She had tears in her eyes."

"Things just weren't meant to be."

"Screw you, Abbott. You are perfect for each other. So, get off your lazy ass and get here. NOW!"

"I'll think about it." I ended the call before she could answer.

And before I knew what I was doing, I was driving to the hospital.

I was shaking when I stepped out of the lift. I walked the silent hallway to her room number. The door was open, and I could see Lennox. She was surrounded by too many machines for a normal surgery. I saw her slow heartbeat on the machine. Someone was resting with his head on her bed. When he looked up, I saw it was Lucas. Rage filled me as I saw him holding her hand in his, tears in his eyes as he looked at his unconscious friend. I shouldn't have been surprised to see him here. They did hook-up two nights ago. I stumbled back. I saw Bryn and Jake on the other side of the hallway asking for her room. So, I ducked in the nearest stairwell and headed out. I needed something to clear my mind. I hopped in the car and drove to the nearest beach. I went for a run in my jeans and shirt. I ran until I couldn't breathe anymore. I ran until the pain in my side was worse than the pain in my heart.

Lennox

I woke up feeling sore and my mouth dry. I felt a warm body next to me. "Jess?" I whispered hoarsely.

"I'm sorry, Lennie." I opened my eyes slowly and saw that I was snuggled in Jake's side. I glanced down at my leg. Thick white bandages were wrapped around it. "You had us really worried."