19

Jesse

I called Lonnie's office every day to ask if she heard from Lennox. I told her about what happened with Lily, how the marriage would be annulled by the end of the week. She told me she would try to put the message through. But when she called back later that week, she said Lennox hung up the moment she had mentioned my name. I was growing frustrated. When I was finally able to leave the hospital, I didn't go home. I went straight to Lennox publishing office. After I explained everything that had happened and how I felt about Lennox, we came up with a plan. But nobody wanted me to travel alone. So, since Amara had a few free days, she volunteered to come with us so she could witness the moment her two friends fell into each other's arms. Her words not mine.

So, after a last-minute check-up with my doctor, I was cleared to go. Amara and I hopped on the train Friday night after the marriage was annulled. My father said Lily was fighting the annulment, to try to get a divorce settlement. But my father wouldn't hear about it. And threatened to take much more from her is she tried to push it through. Lily had time until Sunday afternoon to clear her things from my flat. And I asked my father to put it up for sale as soon as possible. I didn't want to live there anymore. It never truly felt like home and now Lily just ruined it completely for me. I didn't know where I would be staying until I found somewhere else to live. But my dad, Bryn and Jake all offered to take me in until I did find something.

But that were worries for later. Now was the time for grand gestures and winning back the love of my life. Nothing else was important compared to this. Lonnie made sure we were on the list, and we walked in as late as possible. When I saw her in front of the crowd, she looked so at ease and happy. Her light blue eyes that seemed to sparkle in the light, the easy smile as she looked at her fans.

"Keep breathing, Jesse." Amara whispered with a chuckle. "Don't want you to faint in front of her."

I glared at her but took in a few deep breaths to calm myself. I looked back at Lennox, my eyes tracing over every inch of her face.

I had always known I would love him forever. But the moment I saw him standing across the room, in his fine tailored suit, his scruffy beard and those damned eyes, I knew I was home again. I knew that he was my one, my one true love. And that I never stopped loving him. That I never fell out of love with him. And when he smiled at me. I nearly burst into tears. It had been one thousand, nine hundred and fifty days since I had seen him. And my feelings had never wavered. I was lost but in that moment, even more so when he wrapped his arms around me, I knew I was home.

"I never stopped loving you either." I blurted out. Every eye turned to me and when I stepped out of the shadows of the bookshelves, she froze. I noticed she was breathing heavily, and she took a step back, her hands trembling. Her book fell from her hands onto the table.

"If you will excuse me." She said through her little microphone before she darted off the platform.

I ignored the people who glanced from me to the empty stage and back. I made my way towards where she disappeared as quickly as possible. But since the surgery was just a week ago, that wasn't fast. The shop owner came towards me and Amara, who followed closely, her hand hovering over my back.

"Her publicist told me you were coming. She is in the storage room."

I offered her a smile. "Thank you." I said before I walked to the room. Amara stayed back when I opened the door and stepped in. The door closed automatically behind me with a soft click. The storage room was full of boxes and shelves filled with books. The room was dimly lit, so not to discolour the books. I didn't see her anywhere.

"Lennox?" No answer. "Lennox, please talk to me."

"You shouldn't be here." Her voice seemed to echo in the room, making it impossible for me to locate her. "You had spinal surgery last week! You should be on bedrest." Her voice was stern and concerned.