7

Jesse

We were standing in front of her house, my car in the driveway. I wasn't surprised at all that she choice an older beautiful house. I could just see her backyard ending at the edge of the Thames. I watched as Lennox played with her keys, not quite ready to go in yet.

"Are you sure you're not upset about me and your granddad? I mean, your fiancé hasn't even met him."

"I'm one hundred percent sure, Lennox. Besides it's not because of me or granddad. I tried for years for her to come over and meet him." I don't know why but after I said it, it felt like I just did something stupid. I took Lennox in, and I could just see something like hurt flash in her eyes before she disguised it.

She looked over my shoulder when she asked. "How long are you together?"

"Almost three years. Engaged for one."

She smiled at me, but her eyes were sad. "I'm happy you found someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, Jess. You deserve that." She stood on her toes and kissed my cheek, letting her lips linger again.

I grasped her hip to hold her in place and my eyes fluttered shut. "I've waited for you." I whispered. "It took me a long time to get over you."

She shook a little against me. "But your happy now. That's what is important." She pulled back and I hated letting her go. "When is the wedding?"

"In four months, winter wedding."

"I'm one hundred percent sure you'll be the most handsome groom ever." Her fingers caressed my bearded cheek. "I like this, you know. It suits you." She took a step back and put her keys in the lock. "Goodnight, Jess."

When she was halfway through the open door, I said. "Wait." I wanted to go in and see her place. I wanted to see how she lived, how she decorated the place. If there is anything from our time together. But instead, I asked. "What about tomorrow? Are we still meeting up?" I wasn't sure what I would do if we were alone together in her house.

She gnawed on her bottom lip and my eyes followed the movement. "There is something I have to do. But maybe you can come with me. Can you meet me at five at 4th Battersea Park Road?"

I swept down and kissed her cheek once more. "I'll be there."

I said I would be there, so I was going to be there. Normally I wouldn't leave the office before six but now I was planning to get out early. I never plan my meetings past four o'clock, but usually I stayed in the office until six or seven to round up my day. Even though I could leave it for the day after or even work from home, I didn't. I didn't want to think about what it meant I was willing to leave early for her. And not for Lily.

But of course, time got away from me. I left the office ten past five. My phone against my ear as I tried to call her on the way down to the garage. But her phone went straight to voicemail. I tried to call her again when I was in the car, again no answer. Shit! I'm already screwing this up. I raced down the street trying to make up for lost time. But of course, a cop spotted me speeding. I felt the minutes tick by as the officer checked my licence and insurance. I tried not to snap at him as he ticketed me, and I drove off. Trying to watch my speed. It was just past five thirty when I arrived at the address. I blinked up to the building a few times. An animal shelter.

I checked my phone. Lennox still hadn't answered me. When I entered the building, a young woman smiled at me.

"Good afternoon." I said, unbuttoning my jacked. "I'm looking for-"