Chapter 117: Unwelcomed Second Uncle Sang

*****hello how are you guys doing hehe lets see it should've been about hmmm at least 2 years?? awoop sorry bout that ehe.. i didnt have any motivation so i dissapeared  online yap yap ****

*********************************************************************

While Sang Hong thanked and rewarded the men, the crowd became excited as they gazed from afar and chattered eagerly at the same time.

Shi Fengju then instructed Zhan Huan to invite the few men to have some tea and snacks and inquire about the number of officials coming, their status, and more. After getting hold of the information, Zhan Huan conveyed them to Fang Shi through a maidservant. Fang Shi was taken aback and quickly went to the kitchen to make the arrangements.

Not long after, the festive music could be heard from afar. As the team of officials approached, the music became louder and many children were already rushing up to watch the lively scene. In a brief moment, officials, who wore a black robe edged with red and a high hat on their heads, arrived grandly in front of the crowd.

In the middle of the team, an official was carrying a scarlet tray that had a large piece of red silk cloth laid over the parchment. A few officials also held red boards with words of commendation painted in black and an auspicious drawing of a carp leaping over the dragon's gate. The team was in an orderly fashion and the percussionists drummed loudly from behind, creating a grand and festive atmosphere!

"They're here! They're here!" The crowd hurried forward to welcome them.

"Hehehehe! Sirs, thank you for your hard work! And thank you, everyone!" Dressed in bright outfits, Sang Pingliang and Li Shi appeared out of nowhere like ghosts and welcomed the officials with cupped hands ahead of everyone else. Their abrupt greeting and unnaturally high voice took Sang Hong and the rest by surprise. Even the drum beats went momentarily out of sync.

However, the officials did not take notice and merely assumed that the elders must have acted oddly from the excitement. After all, they had witnessed such an instance numerous times already. In that split moment, they regained their composure and the drum beats regained its level again.

"Not to worry, not to worry!" The leader of the team greeted with a smile.

Earlier on, Sang Hong had already arranged for a group to prepare the firecrackers. At this moment, they were set off and the crackling sound exploded in the air, filling the surroundings with a thick sulfur smell. Accompanied by the jaunty sounds, it was a jubilant moment.

As the firecrackers died down, the drumming gradually stopped as well. The team leader smiled and sang out loud, "We are here to send our felicitations to the top escorted examinee. Congratulations to the top escorted examinee! Congratulations!" After he was finished, he brought the tray forward. By then, the crowd had already squeezed Sang Yufei to the front. The official kneeled on one knee and held the tray up high with both his hands.

"Please invite an elder forward to remove the cloth and read out the words on the parchment!" An official, well-versed in etiquette, reminded in a moderate volume.

"Me——" Sang Pingliang rushed forward excitedly. But before he could say he would do it, Sang Yufei was quick to answer. "Let us invite Li Zheng over!" He clasped his hands together and bowed respectfully to Li Zheng before saying, "You are the village head. Furthermore, you've watched over us over all these years. Please do not refuse my request!"

"Yes ah, yes ah! Everyone here hopes so too, so go for it!" The crowd despised Sang Pingliang and wanted to keep him out of this. Whether knowingly or unknowingly, they clapped their hands and cheered with much excitement while pushing the despicable man to be back.